Talk

Advanced search

Attractive book for a 6 yr old boy

(7 Posts)
pantshavenames Thu 08-Sep-11 13:54:53

I've got into the habit of buying a book for DS for Christmas and Birthday that are a bit nicer than usual- ie Emily Gravett, hardback versions of Oliver Jeffers or such like which I write the date and occasion in. Now DS is 6 and into Horrid Henry and beginner reader books and they all seem so cheap, cheap paper, thin covers, scratchy black and white illustrations. I only have access to a small Waterstones and you can't always tell online but does anyone have any recommendations for what I can get him that looks special enough to be a present.

smee Thu 08-Sep-11 13:58:31

Would he like TinTin? Lovely illustrations and though the language is a bit advanced he can read it using what he can, plus the pictures. Red Rackham's Treasure's fun and a good starting point.

iklboo Thu 08-Sep-11 14:06:05

DS loves Traction Man - the books are the thinner variety, but really well illustrated (comic book style) with funny stories. DS is 5 and does quite well reading them by himself. He's desperate for the other 2 books in the series (he'll get them for his birthday!).

Traction Man

SecretSpi Fri 09-Sep-11 21:46:13

What about tracking down and buying something you enjoyed at his age? A few years ago, I got an original version of "Caroline and her friends" - originally a French book - which I loved as a child. My son is now 11 and still loves reading it...

Otherwise, I'd second Tintin - they are available in hardback with 3 stories in one volume. Or a classic like "Wind in the Willows" or a hardback version of one of the Roald Dahl stories?

munstersmum Sun 11-Sep-11 12:05:59

The Minpins by Dahl has lovely illustrations, not girly & Amazon have hardback.
Paddington in the Garden was done for the 50th anniversary & again nice pictures.

Have you done the Incredible Book Eating Boy by Jeffers?

pantshavenames Sun 11-Sep-11 15:21:36

Thanks for the replies; I tried to get him interested in Tintin in the spring as we went to the chateau in the Loire which Marlinspike Hall is based on and the gift shop was full of all things Tintin but it seemed to pass him by. I have got some Asterix which I might dig out and see if they interest him more... I like the idea of giving him what I liked back then but my memory of my 6th year is hazy to say the least smile.
The Minpins looks good- I hadn't seen that one before and most of the other Roald Dahls looked a bit too old for him- he has the Magic Finger and enjoyed that.
The other one I've come across that look tempting are the They Might Be Giants ones here although mostly because I have a sneaky liking for their music. Has anyone tried them?

beautifulbooks Mon 26-Sep-11 20:45:19

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now