Talk

Advanced search

Books for a boy who loves machines

(7 Posts)
Julia2132009 Thu 08-Sep-11 12:12:24

He is 2.7 years old. Loves machinary - cogs, wheels, fans, lights, switches, even hinges! Any recommendations?

sc4rl3t Thu 08-Sep-11 12:33:40

yes! the 'Wheeling and Whirling around book' is exactly what you need. great detailed pictures, written like a poem, I think it rhymes, and explains how everything works, but not in a sciencey or religious way. My DDs loved it.
if you can't find it on amazon let me know and i'll look up the authors/ISBN

SecretSpi Thu 08-Sep-11 13:12:34

If he hasn't got it already, there's a book called "Dig Dig Digging" - more about diggers, bulldozers and vehicles than switches and fans but might be the sort of thing for him. My son loved it!

TheyCallMeKipper Thu 08-Sep-11 15:01:18

Dig dig digging is lovely I agree. Usbourne also do a book called Big Machines I've got my eye on (amazon stock it), but I've not bought it yet.

My son has a very old book called big machines we got from a charity shop, and the writing is far too sophisticated but he loves it because of the pictures so I'm guessing any of the books on amazon called big machines would be good (and there are quite a lot) - not sure if you've seen but there is about a page of them!

My ds (2.9yrs) loves the Tractor Ted Big Machines DVD too. In fact all the Tractor Ted books and DVDs I've seen are great and feature lots of big machines.

hdoodle Thu 08-Sep-11 16:41:45

Chris Riddell's Wendel's Workshop has great illustrations of gadgets and robots. David macauley's books are for an older audience, but they are full of gears, pulleys, and machinery that your DS can enjoy when he is old enough to read as well.

munstersmum Thu 08-Sep-11 22:22:28

DS loved this as have many visiting young friends.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farm-Tractor-Wheelies-DK-Publishing/dp/0789497131/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315516842&sr=1-24

For next year Usborne's lift the flap How Things Work though you would have to do the reading !

Julia2132009 Sun 11-Sep-11 12:30:22

These are really great suggestions - thanks very much. Our book collection really needed updating and I have ordered a pile of books from Amazon. Can't wait to read them with my little boy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now