Talk

Advanced search

nature book for children

(6 Posts)
nicknameshame Sat 03-Sep-11 22:03:34

hi everyone - i want to get a nature book for children that can tell them (and us!) the names of various plants/animals/birds. suitable for age four plus. any recommendations?

Takver Sat 03-Sep-11 22:33:40

They're not books, but we've got quite a few of the Field Study Council's fold out laminated guides. I'd particularly recommend the Guide to the top 50 Garden Birds and also their Name Trails (tree name trail here).

I find they work much better than a book because you don't have to spend ages hunting trying to find the thing you want, you just fold it out and can see it all.

(The butterfly one is also really beautiful)

Catsycat Wed 07-Sep-11 13:44:35

You could try a spotters guide or i-spy book, or see if you can get hold of any Guardian wallcharts from eBay. Though not specifically for children, Observers books are nice, and bird books (like the RSPB ones) are lovely too. My DD1 loves looking at the pictures, especially of birds, comparing them etc, she is 4.

loosinas Wed 07-Sep-11 20:28:40

usborne have some lovely spotters guides and the nature sticker book is lovely. they have a lot of nature stuff actually

pleasenap Wed 14-Sep-11 14:16:48

We have this glossy massive wall map of the world with annotated animals (and a key with what they eat, how they have babies - eggs, live young etc) that my DC love looking at... [http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Childrens-Animals-World-Wall-Map-Childr-Dinos-/260822153146?pt=UK_Books_maps_GL&hash=item3cba3637ba map]

But books on nature - I like the Usborne series or Ladybird ones. Can't go far wrong with them. And they do sticker books and 'spot the...' ones too which my DC love to do.

beautifulbooks Mon 26-Sep-11 19:33:33

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now