Talk

Advanced search

Just started reading the spiderwick chronicles to DS1(6). Is it going to be too old for him?

(5 Posts)
virgiltracey Wed 31-Aug-11 20:51:04

The language seems quite grown up in places but his vocabulary and understanding is very good for his age. We've done things like Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, the Butterfly Lion and Little Manfred, all of which he loved. It reads as though they are probably aimed at slightly older children though. Is it going to get too scary for him?

cmgjh Wed 31-Aug-11 23:00:22

Hi - I've read Spiderwick to a year 3 (7 year old) class and they absolutely loved it. There are scary bits, but I never had any problems. I must admit to always reading a chapter ahead so I know what's coming. Then I just "adjust" the story, if necessary, as I read it aloud to ensure no-one gets upset. Don't recall needing to do that with these books, though. The Spiderwick Chronicles are aimed at slightly older children, as you say, but if your DS enjoys them then I would go for it!

madamehooch Thu 01-Sep-11 21:25:16

They are aimed at 9+. They get a bit dark in places but some younger children like that ......

virgiltracey Thu 01-Sep-11 22:41:12

right I think we'll press ahead then. I'm quite enjoying it so far so who cares whether he likes it!! grin

lovecheese Fri 02-Sep-11 09:51:01

DD read them when she was six, thoroughly enjoyed them, and she can be a bit sensitive at times, although I'm sure she took artistic licence with some of the trickier names! Shame there's only five of them, although there is a handbook or something too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now