Talk

Advanced search

magazines for kids

(10 Posts)
LTEC Mon 29-Aug-11 10:05:15

not sure how many of you get suckered in to buying those awful mags, CBeebies and the like, when you go to buy a paper. Not that the mags themselves are so awful but I do get rather fed up with bits of cover-mounted plastic tat strewn around my living room (esp the sodding make up mobiles on the princessy ones, ugh!!!!)

Anyway. Wanted to share my joy in having discovered this mag Just disgusting/ gross enough to keep my dc amused (ages 5, nearly 4 and nearly 2) and just well produced and educational enough to keep me and dh happy. And not a plastic mobile phone to be seen.

MrsvWoolf Mon 29-Aug-11 11:11:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovecheese Fri 02-Sep-11 09:59:31

I buy National Geo for the 10 year-old and they share Aquila and First News, all highly recommended. The 3 year-old occasionally gets a tat-strewn mag if I am sufficiently weakened by the nagging grin

stressedHEmum Fri 02-Sep-11 16:54:59

We get Aquila, National Geo kids, Beano for DS4 grin and Nat Geo and Scientific American for older ones. All fab, good value and well read in here.

ragged Fri 02-Sep-11 17:08:23

Flipside is a very good mag, too, for older ones (age 10+).

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Sep-11 10:07:09

DS 7, has National Geo Kids on subscription, it was a birthday present from his Auntie. He has had the Beano a couple of times over the holidays so have had to buy DD 4 a tat strewn mag to pacify her but he has asked for a Beano subscription for Christmas, have told him in the meantime he is to buy it with his own money.

Really hate buying them, would much rather they go to the library and get something free to read.

lljkk Thu 29-Sep-11 10:32:17

For age 8-14:
How It Works,
and The Phoenix (Jan 2012 relaunch of the DFC!).

Guadalupe Thu 29-Sep-11 10:36:33

Okido is great - ds love his. DD has Anorak which is a similar sort of thing but aimed at slightly older children. Anorak

Actually it says on their homepage that they are bringing out one for younger children too.

Guadalupe Thu 29-Sep-11 10:37:43

We also get the beano and actually it's great value as they all read it aged 13, 9 and 4!

coolio1 Mon 03-Oct-11 15:55:14

thoose magazines cost more than my magazines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now