Talk

Advanced search

Book about trying new things

(4 Posts)
ChinaInYourHands Thu 25-Aug-11 09:40:54

My 7 year old DS is anxious about trying new things, specially if they involve meeting new people. He desperately needs to make friends and get used to meeting new people so we keep trying to gently encourage him to get out of his comfort zone. He has a couple new things coming up in the new term and we're not even talking about them so as to avoid the anxiety it will cause. I was wondering if any of you might know of a fun light-hearted book about these sort of situations, but nothing too childish. My ds is only 7 but his reading age is 11 and he's very mature.

To give an example, a couple of years ago he was so anxious about making friends, we bought him this book which had positive results: www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Friend-Friends-Families/dp/0316111538/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314261507&sr=8-1

He is far more receptive to books than to anything I might tell him so I'd like to buy him something similar, just more age appropriate.

TIA

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Aug-11 20:27:39

We have a 7 year old DS too with a similar reading age. He really loves Green Eggs and Ham.

It is far below his reading age I know but is all about resisting new things only to find out that once you try them, you actually love them. For our DS it is one of his comfort reads.

ChinaInYourHands Sat 27-Aug-11 16:09:32

Thank you. Not sure that will do the trick as it seems specific to trying new foods?
Still looking...

hdoodle Sat 27-Aug-11 17:44:36

How about Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt? It might be a little young for her, but it is very charming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now