Talk

Advanced search

Historical fiction for young children

(23 Posts)
Runoutofideas Wed 24-Aug-11 13:06:06

DD1 has developed a recent obsession with past Kings and Queens and anything historical. She loves horrible histories on CBBC. Just wondered if there are any good historical stories aimed at 6-8 yr olds that anyone can recommend? She has the Osborne Kings and Queens information cards which she pores over for hours, but I was thinking that stories might be more fun.

bigbadbarry Wed 24-Aug-11 13:10:00

My DD is 7, though a good reader, and has been anjoying the "my story" series. Can't link from my phone (will try to remember to do it for you later) but she's read a couple of roman ones, an egyptian one and one set in WW2. She's also got the roman mysteries series though I think they are a bit old for her really.

bigbadbarry Wed 24-Aug-11 13:10:01

My DD is 7, though a good reader, and has been anjoying the "my story" series. Can't link from my phone (will try to remember to do it for you later) but she's read a couple of roman ones, an egyptian one and one set in WW2. She's also got the roman mysteries series though I think they are a bit old for her really.

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:10:17

Message withdrawn

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Aug-11 13:26:53

Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll look for those My Story books now. DD is only 6 though, but a good reader (reads Famous Fives/Roald Dahls etc). Do you think they'd be too grown up for her?

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:31:48

Message withdrawn

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:36:51

Message withdrawn

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:38:54

Message withdrawn

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Aug-11 13:39:19

Thanks - maybe I'll see if we can get one from the library to try.

bullet234 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:39:31

What about some classics? They won't give an explanation of factual events, but are very good at revealing things like games played, language used etc.

The Secret Garden
What Katy Did
What Katy did at School
Oliver Twist
Five Children and It
The Railway Children
Alice in Wonderland.
Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Aug-11 13:41:17

Thanks - I have some of those waiting for her, but I thought maybe they were still a bit grown up. Maybe I should try her with one and see how she gets on.

RosieRed Wed 24-Aug-11 13:57:13

These ones are Scottish but we pored over them when we were little. Not all still in print sadly but loads are.
http://www.discoverkelpies.co.uk/history/

SecretSpi Wed 24-Aug-11 14:06:30

You might like to get Our Island Story by H.E.Marshall - available on amazon.
It may not be everybody's cup of tea and it is of its time (early 20thC) so if you're sensitive about being PC, best to avoid. But it's a beautifully told history of England (N.B also, if you're from another part of the UK) from the earliest days on.

Haberdashery Wed 24-Aug-11 14:19:08

I loved Charlotte Sometimes at that age - a real weepie but beautifully written. Part of it is set around WWI.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Sometimes_(novel)

madamehooch Wed 24-Aug-11 15:45:34

'The Dumpy Princess' is fab. It's about the life of young Princess Victoria and is made for your DD's age group.

Takver Wed 24-Aug-11 19:12:23

This website has a massive list of historical fiction for children, with suggested ages by each book. (Many thanks to whoever recommended it on here!)

Takver Wed 24-Aug-11 19:15:25

The Story of Britain is a more up-to-date/less England-centric equivalent to Our Island Story.

gramercy Wed 24-Aug-11 19:18:11

My dd (7) raced through The Lady Grace Mysteries last year. They are detective-type stories set in the court of Queen Elizabeth I. Dd was quite potty about them and was marshalling her friends to play "Lady Grace" at playtimes.

jeee Wed 24-Aug-11 19:22:06

Cue for Treason (Geoffrey Trease). My favourite book when I was about 9. Elizabethan England, plots, and Shakespeare. Brilliant.

sixpinetrees Wed 24-Aug-11 19:30:59

Richard 111 by Andrew Mathews is good for 6yos. It is Shakespeare though so is proTudor.

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Aug-11 21:06:24

Thanks all - great suggestions. Think I need to read them first though. My historical knowledge is a little shaky and she's already asking questions I can't answer!

cleanandclothed Wed 24-Aug-11 21:12:56

Cynthia Harnett. Might be out of print but you can get them second hand. Start with Stars of Fortune or the Wool Pack, as they are the best, but all are good. Probably more for an 8 yr old than a 6 yr old. Also Jill Paton Walsh - A Parcel of Patterns (about the plague in Eyam). Alison Utley - a Traveller in Time (about Mary Queen of Scots).

Or how about Laura Ingalls Wilder? I loved the Little House books when I was 6-7 and although they were semi-contemporary when written they aren't now!

cleanandclothed Wed 24-Aug-11 21:14:53

Or how about Ladybird books? They might bridge the gap between cards and 'adult' history books. I loved the Elizabeth 1st one at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now