Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend some Angela Carter style books for children?

(5 Posts)
reddaisy Wed 24-Aug-11 11:31:22

DD is 2.5 and starting to pretend to be a princess a lot and whilst I am fine with that I want to balance her view of the world by getting some books where the princess saves the prince or something like that!

She hasn't actually got any Disney books at home but she already seems to know who Cinderella/Snow White etc are (probably from nursery/childminder etc). So can anyone recommend anything please? Thanks.

SecretSpi Wed 24-Aug-11 14:12:54

Young kids can be so conservative sometimes! This is a tricky one - I can understand that you want her to have a balance, but I do question whether a child of her age would "get" the subversion of the fairy tales, if something like that existed! My own view is to read her the original tales (best to get them from Ladybird or something rather than the Disney versions, which can be too sugary) but balance it out with some more anarchic-type books like "Where the Wild Things Are". Maybe someone else knows some specific topsy-turvy fairy tales? Tom Trueheart is very good for when she's older - the princesses there are not at all simpering!

jongleuse Wed 24-Aug-11 17:50:10

Paper bag Princess, Pirate Girl, Ladybug Girl all good and found favour with my 3 year old whose princess tendencies are blanced with a little tomboy to keep up with her big brother
(whispers there is ANOTHER site in the US called MommyTracked that has a great anti-princess reading list http://www.mommytracked.com/bookshelf/amazon)

Takver Wed 24-Aug-11 18:53:27

You need Princess Smartypants smile

When she's a little older, The Ordinary Princess is lovely.

reddaisy Wed 24-Aug-11 22:00:50

Thank you all for the recommendations, I will be doing some ordering on Amazon later and I'm sure she will love them all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now