Talk

Advanced search

How can I get a new Bookstart bag?

(10 Posts)
Claennister Sun 21-Aug-11 11:16:00

My daughter loves her Bookstart library bag, but it's in absolute rags now. We asked the library if there was a way to get another one, but they won't give us one. You can buy a whole new Bookstart pack with the books and everything in it, but we don't way to pay £20 for it all because we just want the bag, nothing else. Does anyone know a way to get a new Bookstart bag? We don't mind buying it (up to about £5), just can't find one anywhere.

shelleylou Sun 21-Aug-11 11:25:20

is it the fabric bag you mean?

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 21-Aug-11 11:29:33

Time for your DD to understand some things are just irreplaceable smile Sorry, no idea, we don't have any around the house anymore. They are very hardwearing, how did you manage to get through it?

HarrietJones Sun 21-Aug-11 11:29:53

Freecycle? People may have one they dont want.

Or get her a plain fabric bag to make her own 'new' library bag

Vagazzled Sun 21-Aug-11 11:32:25

eBay have the satchel type ones smile

littleducks Sun 21-Aug-11 11:35:17

I have a blue one which you can have if you are willing to pay the postage, no idea how much that it would be though......are you sure you want one though, i seem to have millions of bookbags (bookstart x2, nursery, school, some freebie one)

Claennister Sun 21-Aug-11 18:14:54

We've tried a variety of cloth bags since the Bookstart one and none seems capable of making more than about 3 return trips to the library. We didn't realise they weren't machine washable so that's how the first one bit the dust, after being washed the material lost its strength and ripped to pieces. We did have a second one but it was in a rotten vegetable-related shopping accident and there's no way it will ever be usable again. Most shopping bags seem to be intended for you to purchase a loaf of bread and a paper, not to schlep 12 picture books back and forth twice a week.

I think they have got smaller and less useful over the years, though, we tried Freecycle and everyone has smaller, thinner ones, it seems they don't actually give out the ones in the picture any more anyway. sigh

Any recommendations for a bag that's pretty much identical? Needs to be thick cloth, strong seams, LONG handles that are not reinforced with plastic, don't have grips or anything moulded onto them. The dimensions are critical, it needs to hang on my wheelchair without coming too low in the wheels and without the handles being too short to hang on the rack. Needs not to have any "depth" to the bag, IYSWIM, none of those tartan-style traditional shopping bags which have sides, just a back and a front. It's easy to get attached to things when it's so difficult to find an alternative.

CMOTdibbler Sun 21-Aug-11 18:20:45

I have one from Piggybank kids which would fit the bill. I load mine right up, including books, and its going strong. Nice long handles - which are important for me - too

fivegomadindorset Sun 21-Aug-11 18:23:45

You need a Waitrose bag.

Toffeefudgecake Sun 18-Sep-11 08:48:00

Probably a bit late for you, but I've just seen this thread - you might be able to get a new bag from Bookstart themselves (they are the people who run the project - part of the Booktrust charity). Worth a try anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now