Talk

Advanced search

Jacqueline Wilson book recs for 7yo please

(17 Posts)
CocktailQueen Mon 15-Aug-11 20:37:08

My dd has just read The Adventures of Tracy Beaker and wants to read more JW - can anyone recommend anything? A lot of her book's themes are a bit adult for dd. Or can anyone recommend any other similar authors?
Thanks!

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 08:11:56

I have to say JW is not my favourite author. DD is a voracious reader and discovered them around the same age.
I dislike them because every single one has one issue or other in it. Some are MH, some DV, some death. I like my DD to read something a tiney bit jollier.
My DD is hugely influenced by what she reads, she had Tracy Beaker and decided she wanted to go into care.
DD has read, JK Rowling, the worst witch, Princess Mirabelle and of course Roald Dahl. She loves Mr Dahl and enjoys the books more than the films.
Older stuff like five children and it, the secret garden and the phoenix and the carpet were also enjoyed.

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:14:44

I hate her books with a passion. As above plus Enid Blyton. Go explore your local library.

cjbartlett Tue 16-Aug-11 08:16:56

Dies she like the daisy meadowsFairy books? Or the Lucy Daniels books?

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 08:20:09

I think she's a bit old for the dross delights that are the formulaic fairy books.

senua Tue 16-Aug-11 08:27:44

What Kittens and 5GMID said. I loathe JW and her ishoos.

DD liked the Lucy Daniels / Animal Ark series.

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:30:17

Mallory towers, Alice in Wonderland.

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:31:57

The Babysitters club books, Judy Blume.

Chopstheduck Tue 16-Aug-11 08:33:14

hetty feather was dd's favourite at that age. It's different to most JW books, in that it is more history based and so seems a little less issue based, even though the themes are similar. There is a sequel to HF coming out soon too.

Mine started on Anne Fine at that age too. She has written some lovely girls books, and also Noel Streatfeild.

Shoutymomma Tue 16-Aug-11 08:34:58

Those fairy books make me want to kill..... for someone to write one story and make a fortune off the 5000 spin offs makes me clench my teeth.

My eldest (dreamy, romantic girl) loves the stories I read as a child but found it easier to have them read to her (What Katy Did, etc). The 'old fashioned' language doesn't translate to the reading age, although they are emotionally appropriate. The Little House books were a fab compromise. Roald Dahl fulfilled her early need for something a little dark, then JK Rowling. Zizou Corder's Lion Boy is a cracker. I'm just waiting for the right moment to give her the amazing Northern Lights trilogy by Philip Pullman.

She decided for herself that she didn't like J Wilson books... I don't think she can relate to the deep stuff. That's what idyllic vilage life does to a child!!

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:37:17

Lemony Snickett.

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:43:57

The Sleepover Club

fivegomadindorset Tue 16-Aug-11 08:44:30

Dick King -Smith

CocktailQueen Fri 26-Aug-11 20:50:55

Thanks all smile She's currently reading Michael Morpurgo books which I like a lot more. She really doesn't need to know about ishoos at her age imo but I don't want to stop her from reading things. Cheers smile

DeWe Sat 27-Aug-11 21:27:28

Dd2 (age 7) loves JW. Don't really understand why as a lot of the issues she's covering are way out of her knowledge. I do try and look at them first since finding her reading one about anorexia and then saying she was fat (she's stick thin). Her favourite was Hetty Feather, but she also liked Candifloss too. Dd 1 doesn't like them at all.
I think the reason is dd2 likes "real life" stories whereas dd1 likes mystery/adventure/fantasy.
So dd2 reads a lot of biography story types like Little House, When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit (Judith Kerr) and other war time stories, she also likes the old fashioned GO stories that are being replublished.

aristocat Fri 02-Sep-11 10:43:29

my DD is 7yo and she loves the Kitten club books by Sue Mongredien, she will read all 6 in one go grin

there are a few JW DD has read again and again that are not so bad, they are Double Act, Cliffhanger, Lizzie Zipmouth. TBH there are so many excellent childrens books, it is good to have a mixture of authors isnt it?

cory Sat 10-Sep-11 12:26:15

I had no problem with dd reading JW, I never noticed any adverse effects on her behaviour and it did help to open her eyes to the fact that other people might have difficult things going on in their life. We live in a leafier place than most of JWs heroines, but there are no issues in there that could not equally be happening- or in some cases have been happening- to dd's own classmates.

For the younger competent reader, I think the Lottie Project is a good JW story, not too grown-up but still enough reading in there.

Of course it is good to have a mixture of authors, but I think the best way to achieve that is to let them read more or less what they like and then gradually stick other books into their hands too.

And fwiw I dislike Dahl far more than JW because there is a nasty sneering tone in his works whereas JW seems to be teaching an understanding and compassionate outlook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now