Talk

Advanced search

What else would he enjoy?

(19 Posts)
Avinalarf Mon 15-Aug-11 20:36:17

DS is 6 yrs old and a fluent and avid reader.

He has read all the Horrid Henry books and is now ploughing through the 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' series. He also liked the Magic Treehouse books.

Could anyone suggest more books / series that he would enjoy? The difficulty we have is that although he has a reading age beyond his years and loves reading independently, he is still very young and I want to find books with the right content.

I should add - I am not trying to push him into reading chapter books! He has Asperger's Syndrome, so reading is a major past-time as he finds social interaction quite hard.

Balloo8 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:57:43

The Spy Dog books are great - my children love them. The author came into their school recently with the dog and they talked about them both for ages. Also Humphrey the Hamster books - they are very funny and a good read too. He is basically a school hamster who gets up to all sorts of mischief.

Namechangeoshame Mon 15-Aug-11 21:00:11

Horrible Science? How to Tame Your Dragon? Astrosaurs? Jeremy Strong? (an author) Captain Underpants?

Namechangeoshame Mon 15-Aug-11 21:03:20

Little Wolf? Mister Majeika? Ms Wiz? And the complete Roald Dahl of course.

Too many to talk you through really, but I'd say any of those should be suitable, and they're all series of books so will keep him going for a while - take him to the library, wave them under his nose and let him pick what he fancies.

farming4 Mon 15-Aug-11 21:06:36

Mr Gumm! Ds (8) adores these - theres about 10 in the series - about a man who hates kids - good humour and in the same vein as Horrid Henry. Ds first discovered them about a year ago and I was surprised he took to them as he finds reading difficult (dyslexic) but the chapters are quite short and the books have pen and ink drawings every few pages as well. (I've also read them and really enjoyed them blush)

exexpat Mon 15-Aug-11 21:06:38

Louis Sachar - the Marvin Redpost series, and possibly the Wayside School series might be good. Also the Ms Wiz series (Terence Blacker) and Mr Majeika series (Humphrey Carpenter) - all very short books, but good and well written.

The magical children books about ordinary children with special powers by Sally Gardner are also very good - there's a 3-in-1 book of them here or places like the Book People or Red House sometimes sell sets of all of them (I think there are about 6) very cheaply.

Harry the Poisonous Centipede and the sequels went down well with DS at that sort of age, as did some of the Anne Fine books, along with the usual Michael Morpurgo, Dick King-Smith and Anthony Horowitz.

dodgynoodles Mon 15-Aug-11 21:13:32

I'll second Mr Gum, me and DS (7) love them. They are beautifully written and very funny, sometimes he laughs so much we have to stop and re-read a couple of times. There are 8 in the series, we are re-reading them for the 3rd time and still not bored!

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Aug-11 21:14:52

DS loved captain underpants - I've never understand the appeal myself though, lol

Takver Mon 15-Aug-11 21:57:17

Astrosaurs
Cows in Action
Any of Dick King Smith's animal stories

Personally I'd be wary of Michael Morpurgo for a 6 y/o - my dd found some of them very upsetting, would suggest checking them first as their age suitability varies.

Takver Mon 15-Aug-11 21:58:35

And agree also with Captain Underpants (I liked them too grin )

jongleuse Tue 16-Aug-11 20:21:46

Second Mr Gum and Astrosaurs, DS (6) is working his way through these. Also like the 'How to Train Your Dragon' series and some oldies but goodies like the 'Ramona' series, The Worst Witch (The Book People have these on offer atm) and Mr Majeika.

wearymum200 Tue 16-Aug-11 21:59:56

Astrosaurs, tommy niner, superpowers series, mr majeika, oliver moon, jake cake, flat stanley, roald dahl, usborne young reading and dk young readers all a hit here (ds1 t.t, reads fluently but is too young for michael morpurgo i've found). Also dick king smith's harry's mad, dinosaur trouble, water horse

LovingKent Thu 25-Aug-11 12:17:04

Might be a bit old fashioned but my brother used to love Nicolas and the Gang books at that age (by Rene Goscinny - the author who wrote Asterix).

skybluepearl Fri 26-Aug-11 20:04:12

philip ardagh books - starting with The Eddie Dicons Trilogy

pseudonymous bosch book series starting with The name of this book is secret

Roald Dahl - Georges marvelous medicine

Horrible histories - the egyptians is my sons fave

alana39 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:56:14

Oh yes Mr Gum. And make sure you read them yourself too!

Themumsnot Mon 05-Sep-11 23:01:30

DD who liked all of those also liked the Dork Diaries. You could also try the Lemony Snicket books and the How to Train Your Dragon series.

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 09-Sep-11 11:16:14

Flat Stanley? Quite short so he may read them fairly quickly but content wise nothing worrying.

Stig of the Dump by Clive King about a boy who makes friends with a stone age boy he finds nearby.

Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster is a great book all about numbers and language in a fantasy world. It my be a little complicated just now but could be just up his street in a yera or so?

beautifulbooks Mon 26-Sep-11 20:38:02

Message deleted

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Tue 27-Sep-11 12:38:29

If you can find them (they are still in print afaik) Willard Price's "Adventure" series are great. They're about two brothers who work as "bring em back alive" men and catch animals for zoos. They were written mainly in the 60s, and sound a bit "dodgy" with today's modern views on zoos, but the actual zoos don't really come into it - they're more of a travelogue/wildlife diary with the animals in their native habitat and loads of facts and info disguised as "high adventure" with baddies and pirates and robbers and man eating lions and all things exciting in there. I read them as a kid and still remember the animal facts, the factual bits are all correct and they stick because of the way they're written into the stories.
The first one is Amazon Adventure and I think there are 13 or 14 in all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now