Talk

Advanced search

doesnt enjoy being read to

(7 Posts)
itwasthat Sun 07-Aug-11 22:51:42

my son has just turned two and doesnt really like listening to readings? he gets bored, ive tried the touch and feel type he likes them but i want to read to him too, something like the gruffallo is too long for him even when i make funny sounds lol ... he wants to take the book off me and close it, move onto the next page too early ... any ideas how i can encourage him or am i expecting too much ... anyone have the same problem

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 08-Aug-11 00:25:16

DS used to do that, and did get over it. Try something with fewer words on each page for now, or just accept that you're only going to manage to read a few pages. If you keep up the habit of reading to them, they get naturally better at being read to as they age.

Parietal Mon 08-Aug-11 00:34:27

Get library books to have variety. Stories with a rhyme are often good. And a VERY simple plot - the way the mouse in gruffalo tricks the animals is too complex for a 2 yr old.

I think there is one called 'dig dig digging' that is good if your ds likes machines. But just stick with it.

SecretSpi Mon 08-Aug-11 08:27:26

"Dig Dig Digging" was a huge favourite with my son, too - although we got thoroughly sick of it! I agree - keep it short - books like "Goodnight Moon" or "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or possibly "Where the Wild Things Are" are quite long enough at that age.

PacificDogwood Mon 08-Aug-11 08:34:33

They all take to proper 'being read to' at different ages - mine were between 18 months and almost 3 (4 boys - youngest only 16 months and still only interested in books if he can eat them wink).

Try just talking about the pictures 'oh, look at the train, choochoo!' and other inane stuff rather than properly reading a story.
The Gruffalo is quite long tbh.
What about 'That not my dinosaur/train/puppy...' series - v simple text, big colourful pictures AND different textures good for chewing too?

I'd agree with everybody else, just keep going, but don't stress out about it. It's ment to be fun, so if he is not interested, don't push it. DS3 never showed any interest in books until shortly after his 2nd birthday when he very suddenly started demanding bedtime stories. He is now almost 3 1/2 and loves The Gruffalo (all the Julia Donaldson books are brill IMO).

SilveryMoon Mon 08-Aug-11 08:39:16

personally, if he's not enjoying it, I'd leave it for a while. he will get over it and by the time he's 3 he'll be begging for you to read to him.
What I'd do is, find a period of the day where not much is happening, maybe like after lunch and have this as a 10 minute independent reading session, so you get your book, encourage him to choose his and sit down and look at books each on your own, let him explore books, look at the pictures, turn the pages etc and wait for him to ask you about his book.
I'd follow his lead and not put pressure on him.

itwasthat Mon 08-Aug-11 22:06:37

thanks for the brilliant suggestions appreciate it, we looked at a very basic book tonight just for a few minutes, he liked it so will put your suggestions to good use, thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now