Talk

Advanced search

Judy, grandma, shop in a tree, white pony - what book??

(8 Posts)
BerryPie Sat 06-Aug-11 23:29:52

The title says it all really. When I was little, I remember loving a book about a little girl (Judy, but I might be wrong) who lived at the bottom of a big (magic?) tree with her grandmother and a white pony (Sam?). It was a proper chapter book, but with lovely black and white illustrations. I think the grandmother ran some kind of magic pharmacy for animals in the tree, and there may have been an evil witch about, too.

Does anyone have any idea what this book might have been called, and who wrote it? I have Googled myself silly, but I can't seem to find it. I would be stupidly grateful as I really want to try to find it for my little girl. Thank you!

PelvicFloorOfSteel Sat 06-Aug-11 23:41:16

I know this book, I remember reading it, but I've had a google as well and got nowhere. I'm sure my mum still has it so if no-one else answers in the meantime I'll ask her tomorrow.

LawrieMarlow Sun 07-Aug-11 00:32:13

There's three of them and they are by Beverley Nichols (a man I think).

They were
The Tree that sat down
The Stream that Stood Still
The Mountain of Magic

I got them in a box set one Christmas smile My copy of the first one looked like this although I see it was abridged.

Sam was Bad and ran a rival shop with his grandfather.

Sandalwood Sun 07-Aug-11 00:44:43

I've still got my copy of 'The Stream that Stood Still' from when I was young.
I'd love to get the others for my DD.
I think they might be out of print now so maybe need to be prepared to pay a lot.

LawrieMarlow Sun 07-Aug-11 10:11:11

There's some on Amazon for not too much I think

BerryPie Sun 07-Aug-11 19:36:04

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it and am off to amazon now!

PelvicFloorOfSteel Sun 07-Aug-11 19:53:39

Beaten to it! I'm really glad you asked though because I'd forgotten these books existed and now I'm going to have a re-read. smile

Colyngbourne Sun 21-Aug-11 17:03:26

There is also a fourth book, The Wickedest Witch in the World, one of the latter books Nichols wrote.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now