Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mallory Towers or St Clare's - which first?

(12 Posts)
savoycabbage Thu 21-Jul-11 09:17:40

I have just finished reading "The Naughtiest Girl in the School" books to my dd, and wanted to start on one of the other school series.

I can't remember much about them or even if they would be appropriate for a seven year old. For me to read to her not for her to read.

I live in foreign parts so I can't look in a bookshop and I want to order something off Amazon before they do away with the free delivery.

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 11:55:50

The Malory Towers series is definitely 7 year-old level. The set is on offer with The Book People for £4.99 atm here, although I'm not sure of their overseas delivery policy. I can't remember the St. Clare's one I'm afraid.

The other school series I can remember are:
The Worst Witch (age 7-9 I'd say from memory)
The Chalet School (a bit older)
Trebizon (age 9-10)

Ummmm... that's all for now.

savoycabbage Thu 21-Jul-11 13:12:45

Thanks AKMD, I will see if I will get the Malory Towers then. We have 'done' the Worst Witch.

It's amazing that you can get 5 books for a fiver and we have to pay ten quid for one here!

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 13:17:52

I know! I was in Denmark a couple of weeks ago for a series of meetings and my flight was delayed on the way home so I bought a book to pass the time - grin that it was over £15 for a bog-standard paperback that would have been a fiver max here!

AKMD Thu 21-Jul-11 13:18:13

That was supposed to be shock, I keep messing that up...

savoycabbage Thu 21-Jul-11 13:23:34

I looked at books today and a Famous Five was a tenner.

jenniec79 Thu 21-Jul-11 13:26:47

Don't forget Jennings and Derbyshire. Much funnier than the girly school stories, and about the same age group.

Catsycat Thu 21-Jul-11 14:24:19

I would second Mallory Towers - I remember enjoying it more than St Clares, though to be honest they were very, very similar! AKMD I had totally forgotten about the Chalet School - I used to love those books, and thought all the girls were really chic!

My mum had 1950s school stories that I borrowed when I was little (the Abbey School?) and I just loved those. It's so nice to share something you enjoyed as a child yourself.

savoycabbage Fri 22-Jul-11 00:55:20

Thanks, I have ordered the Malory Towers books. I don't remember the Jennings ones but I have the Just William books.

lilolilmanchester Fri 22-Jul-11 01:14:38

DD read St Clares first (only because I had read them first as a child as someone passed them on) followed by Malory Towers. I don't think it really matters. Milly Molly Mandy and My Naughty little sister books are good for that age, a bit old fashioned in their writing but no more so than the boarding school books, and DD loved them too.

AKMD Fri 22-Jul-11 09:29:07

Catsy I used to think a French-only day at school each week would be the height of sophistication smile

£10 for a Famous Five?! I got the first ten books in a box set for £10 at WH Smith last year. Where do you live?!

HappyAsIAm Mon 08-Aug-11 15:50:48

I remember reading St Clare's first, I think, when I was about 8 or 9. I can still recite large chunks of them, and the Mallory Towers books and I'm 36.

There's also trebizon, but that was more grown up iirc (and maybe a bit more dull if I'm honest!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now