Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions please for 7 year old boy who loves facts.

(17 Posts)
sittinginthesun Thu 14-Jul-11 17:23:22

DS2 is 7, with a reading age of around 9. He struggles to find fiction books he enjoys, and it is even becoming apparent from his end if year report that he isn't enjoying reading as much as he was last year.

He's basically read every horrid Henry and roald Dahl on repeat for the whole year, but very little else. He adores maths, science, history and geography, and loves the Horrible History/science etc series, but we need to find some fiction.

Tried c s Lewis, Enid blyton, Harry potter, how to train your dragon, etc etc. Leaving him cold.

Any ideas!

Sidge Thu 14-Jul-11 17:37:10

Guiness Book of Records!!

Hours of entertainment and amazing your family with interesting trivia grin

Not fiction I know.

Might be a bit old but my DD loved the Lemony Snicket books?

Takver Fri 15-Jul-11 18:45:31

Silly question, but does he have to read fiction? If he's reading a range of non-fiction, & he enjoys it, isn't that good? Could you just look for some other non-fiction books for him. . .

peeriebear Fri 15-Jul-11 18:46:26

Ripley's Believe it or Not. Such fun!

munstersmum Fri 15-Jul-11 18:59:00

Artemis Fowl?
It's a sneaky trick but you can buy a few as one DS flipbook. Gives a bit of interaction but it's not an abridged version & nothing like a game.

mumtoone Fri 15-Jul-11 21:24:50

What about the Horrible Histories series. There are lots of them and my DS (7) loves them. He reads well but isn't really into fiction in a major way.

Taffeta Fri 15-Jul-11 21:29:34

My DS is similar. Loves his Guinness Book of Records, See Inside Usborne books ( esp Maths, Science and Space ) and Football Books.

Have you tried Mr Gum? Its way out there, but DS and his friends all adore it. I love them too - they are utterly mad. Its a series - there are about 8 or 9 now I think.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Jul-11 14:40:54

Was going to suggest Mr Gum too, think this one is the first one. Our DS is 7 so he's a bit young to read them himself but loves having them read to him.

He's a great lover of information books too and he also likes the Usbourne lift the flap books which we get from the library. Think he has read every book they have on space too.

He may like the WOW series too, lots of facts in those.

Have you signed him up for the Library Reading Challenge? If he wants to read nonfiction and you want him to read fiction could you compromise with him and let him take out 4 books of his choice and 2 fiction books?

shouldbeelswhere Sun 24-Jul-11 15:02:37

Jack stalwart books, the boy who is the lead character is a secret agent, my 7yr old boy loved them. Guiness book of records book gets returned to often. Also enjoys Willard Price adventure books, lots of facts in them despite being fiction - only thing I would point out is that they're not at all politically correct and a bit gruesome they may even be out of print as they're left over from DH childhood!

IndridCold Mon 25-Jul-11 10:22:51

Stephen Hawking and his daughter have written some children's adventure books which introduce the concepts of astrophysics!! The first is called George's Cosmic Adventure I think, and there is one about the Big Bang. My DS loved them.

@ shouldbeelswhere - I believe there is a small publisher who are updating and republishing the Willard Price books, which is good news. I used to love them.

shouldbeelswhere Mon 25-Jul-11 18:01:44

oh that's interesting, thanks for that IndridCold

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Jul-11 19:31:45

Thanks from me too IndridCold, think my DS would like those too smile

Mavend Mon 25-Jul-11 19:35:08

If he likes history Rosemary Sutcliffe is a fantastic authour."Eagle of the Ninth for starters.smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Jul-11 19:40:07

Will people stop recommending such good books please? My wishlist is just getting far too long grin

iheartdusty Mon 25-Jul-11 21:30:55

I know OP isn't looking for fact books, but I just wanted to point out this bargain - we love these little books in this house.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 31-Jul-11 16:45:43

Mavend just spotten Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliffe in our local library. Do you think that one is suitable for a sensitive 7 year old boy?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 31-Jul-11 16:46:43

spotted not spotten (and I haven't even opened the first bottle yet)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now