Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a new "Chapter Book"

(30 Posts)
CDMforever Sun 10-Jul-11 20:34:11

Have just finished reading the Enchanted Wood to my almost 5yo DS.
Would definitely like to try another chapter book but need a break from Moonface et al.
He really likes the Horrid Henry cartoons on TV but I fancied reading something a bit more tasteful smile
Any ideas?

Themumsnot Sun 10-Jul-11 20:35:36

Anne Fine's Jamie and Angus stories are good.

SuePurblybilt Sun 10-Jul-11 20:36:50

I guess you've tried the Roald Dahls?

kahlua4me Sun 10-Jul-11 20:38:22

We read "Wind in the Willows" when my ds was about that age. He loved it.
Now reading Famous Five which he also loves.
He is 7 now

EvieB Sun 10-Jul-11 20:41:18

What about the Little House on the Prairie series? Laura Ingalls Wilder.

We are reading those currently - DDs are 8 but I think they would have liked them at 5 also. They are lovely stories.

If you are animal lovers then Gobbolino the Witches Cat is a great 'chapter' story.

CDMforever Sun 10-Jul-11 20:44:03

I strangely hadn't thought of the Roald Dahls but I do know they do him to death at school!
Maybe I could try a lesser known Dahl like The Twits, I'm sure he would adore that one!
Not heard of the Jamie and Angus stories, will have a look on amazon.
I love the idea of the Wind in the Willows, is the language not a little advanced for a 4yo?

Takver Sun 10-Jul-11 21:45:38

No. 1 Car Spotter is good - I also liked the Winnie the Witch chapter books for that age, although I think they're really intended as early readers.

Neither has overly long chapters nor too tense, good in a bedtime story if that's when you read them!

jongleuse Sun 10-Jul-11 22:34:01

My 6 year old has loved Astrosaurs (not sure if they are strictly tasteful), H****d H****y, Mr Gum and oddly all the Ramona and Beezus books which I loved as a child. Also Bare Bum Gang by Anthony Mcgowan which may not meet the tasteful criteria... Oh and Zeus on the Loose and Zeus something else by John Dougherty and all the Worst Witch and Mr Majeika. Book People do some great cheapo box sets.

CDMforever Sun 10-Jul-11 23:10:56

What is Mr Majeika, a male version of the Worst Witch?

bruffin Sun 10-Jul-11 23:22:45

"http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=202754 Mr Majeika"

My DCs loved these books when they were that age. DS also liked Jeremy Strong books

bruffin Sun 10-Jul-11 23:23:12

Mr Majeika link

jenniec79 Sun 10-Jul-11 23:28:03

Jennings and Darbishire were pretty cool at that age; or maybe some other Blyton - secret 7, the xxx of adventure books, naughtiest girl or the yyy mystery series are all good steps on from magic faraway tree.

SuePurblybilt Mon 11-Jul-11 10:42:52

Something like Danny, Champion of the World, is perhaps less well known too? I'm not sure what they do at school though - that could be a really popular reading list one for all I know. I agree that the 'younger' Blyton mysteries are good.
The Borrowers (Mary Norton) series is excellent. Or the original Mary Plain or Paddington books are good for reading to/with that age group.

My absolute favourite - Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf (Catherine Storr)

wearymum200 Mon 11-Jul-11 21:53:49

Green Smoke by Rosemary Manning, Harry's mad by Dick King Smith (or anything else by Dick King Smith), Dinosaur cove, Magic Wishing Chair

CDMforever Tue 12-Jul-11 20:56:09

Just had a gander at Mr Majeika, think it would be right up DS's street!
Thanx.

Highlander Sun 17-Jul-11 12:10:56

Dinosaur Cove

Famous Five and Secret Seven

Roald Dahl (fantastic Mr Fox was vv popular with my DSs)

Astrosaurs

The Borrowers

carrotgold Sat 06-Aug-11 21:06:28

Magic wishing chair is very good, The beast quest series by Adam Blade (all of my children love them ones 6 ones 11!) Famous Five are also engaging and entertaining smile

ScatterChasse Mon 15-Aug-11 01:43:12

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is nice, sort of a story per chapter. There's a sequel too, but I can't think what it's called, Bonfires and Broomsticks perhaps?

There are some lovely Enid Blyton ones too, but not the 'famous' ones, I think they might be called The Little Green Goblins.

Kaye Umansky's good too. The Pongwhiffy series especially, but might be for a little older.

SecretSpi Mon 15-Aug-11 21:29:58

The Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse by Ursula Moray Williams
Teddy Robinson Stories by Joan G. Robinson.
Oldies but goodies!

RosieRed Wed 24-Aug-11 13:55:27

Second Jeremy Strong and Dick King Smith and Kaye Umansky. And the Andy Stanton ones that aren't Mr Gum - The Story of Matthew Buzington and Sterling &the Canary. So good and funny.

mustdash Wed 24-Aug-11 13:57:56

Another vote for Dick King Smith, and as with Mr Majeika often on offer with the book people.

KarenInglis Tue 06-Sep-11 20:32:05

Hello

If you're after a traditional children's adventure story with a modern twist you can read sample chapters of my book The Secret Lake for free by using the link below.

I read this to my two boys when they were 4 and 6 (or was it 5 and 7?!) and they loved it.... It's only 122 pages so not an enourmous tome - but is full of adventure, twists and turns... It's actually pitched at readers aged 8-10...

On my website it's set out for the web - to see inside the book itself, check out the 'look inside' feature on Amazon. It's only gone live in the last couple of weeks and I've done everything myself smile Quite a few local Waterstones have just ordered it so I'm quite excited - and if there are any readers around Barnes, East Sheen or Richmond, it's in the independent bookstore there. Since the first five chapters are free to read I hope it's okay for me to post here!
thesecretlake,com

I hope this helps...

Karen Inglis

PS I need a couple more reviewers in return for a free copy - be they parents or children. If this style of sotry looks of interest please mail me at kareninglis@thesecretlake.com

KarenInglis Tue 06-Sep-11 20:34:18

I have a typo in that link - I can't see how to edit it so here is is again:

thesecretlake.com

(How do you edit a post??)

loosinas Wed 07-Sep-11 20:42:34

the tumtum and nutmeg stories are good and havent been mentioned yet .... my son five and a half loves them

SofiaLondon Thu 08-Sep-11 13:57:06

I have been reading the adventures of Humphrey, the hamster to my 5 year old dd and she loves them.
We are now reading the "Indian in the cupboard", very good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now