Talk

Advanced search

Books to help Ds - Yr 1 nearly 2 cope with moving house

(6 Posts)
Sesquipedality Fri 08-Jul-11 20:08:45

Big move from big city to small town. Would like good books to read with DS that might help etc. Either that he can read or we can read, not bothered about much more than that - it's about feeligns and emotions not eciting books!

Have searched Mumsnet but struggling to find arcived threads. Any/all suggestions hugely welcome.

madamehooch Sat 09-Jul-11 07:36:42

Have just read a really good picture book called 'Clancy and Millie and the Very Fine House.' Simple story about a young boy who moves to a new house, is unhappy to start with but then finds a new friend who helps the house to become a home with a fantastic game of cardboard boxes.

This book has been shortlisted for the UKLA Book Awards (books chosen by teachers) and I have just used it with my Year 5 reading group, so don't let the fact that it's a picture book put you off.

carrotgold Sat 06-Aug-11 21:01:36

'A new home for tiger' is a good one. Tiger moves house and is very sad and unhappy so goes back 'Home' he sleeps there for the night but gets scared and runs back to his new house... He then realises that this is his home now, he's with his things and the people he loves.

I read it to my children when we moved house the first time, they loved it!

munstersmum Sun 07-Aug-11 21:44:57

Hubert Horatio.... by Lauren Child (of Charlie & Lola) well written & basically about down-sizing. One of DS's fave books. Great illustrations.

SybilBeddows Sun 07-Aug-11 21:47:52

Usborne First Experiences, bit babyish but he may be able to read it himself.

SybilBeddows Sun 07-Aug-11 21:48:47

check out all the 'customers who bought this also bought....' links on the Amazon page, there seem to be loads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now