Talk

Advanced search

Best Learn to read books?!

(16 Posts)
Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 00:09:51

Oxford reading tree
Ladybird
Jolly phonics???

So confused can someone please take pity and guide me through this?!!

HappyDoll Fri 08-Jul-11 00:18:43

Whichever DC enjoys. (Unless you're home schooling of course)

Honestly, you'll get more joy sitting a dinosaur enthusiast in front of a big book of dinosaurs than you will any levelled 'the cat is fat and has a blue hat' book.

DS always quite liked reading, then I introduced him to graphic novels (very, very childish ones) and books suddenly opened up to him. He basically learnt to read with the Beano. There was a reason to read, not just because he had to learn. He cared about Dennis and wanted to know this weeks prank. It's the literary equivalent of pushing DC in the deep end!

Lexiejack Fri 08-Jul-11 00:25:34

At the last count we had 11 dinosaur books so maybe I'll start there!! We are looking into home schooling or flexi schooling but doing bits at home whilst I weigh up the pros and cons of school lol!!

savoycabbage Fri 08-Jul-11 01:33:02

My dd loved being able to read all of the words in books. It gave her confidence which was what she needed as she is not a confident child generally. She had 'real books' to read too but she loved the scheme books.

I used the Ruth Miskin 'Read, write inc' books here This is the first set.

I also liked the Usbourne First readers books. first one

The Usbourne ones are good to get out of the library as there is not much to them. They have a page for the adult to read and a page for the child.

HerRoyalNotness Fri 08-Jul-11 04:56:27

I'm using this one here and there. dS is doing very well with the little I've done. if only I would do it more with him <sigh>

www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0671631985/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/186-5946944-2577402

HerRoyalNotness Fri 08-Jul-11 04:57:15

If link doesn't work, it's learn to read in 100 Easy lessons

shiplan Fri 08-Jul-11 05:26:05

Promote reading by showing your children anything with words on, when you are out and about look at signage - my children knew the 'no smoking' sign at a very early age!! Seriously though, it's giving them the time to sound out words and not jumping in with the answer (which is often quicker and easier!). Providng lots of praise and interest. I have 2 girls who love to read and this shows in their creative writing - please check out my eldest Amelia who is 7, she has written a poem and is in a national competition 'book at bedtime' http://t.co/TJ8vsBr I am so proud you can download poem and vote too! Give them lots of time and it will pay off.

DeWe Sun 10-Jul-11 18:52:34

I've found all my children enjoyed the Jane and Peter books.
But the books that realy helped them start to enjoy reading on their own were the Bunny and Bee books.
They all start with "Here is a house, a house in a tree, the house is the home of Bunny and Bee" All my children learnt those words from reading the story to them and I found they then recognised them in other contexts.
I find the Oxford Reading Tree they found a bit frustrating not being able to recognise all the words when they were at the point of just reading. Jane and Peter may be boring but it gave them a much better sence of achievement being able to read all the words.

NotJustKangaskhan Sun 10-Jul-11 19:22:52

For learning to read book sets, I quite like Piper Books BRI-ARI system. I've tried a few learning to read programmes as a home educator and this has been my favourite so far (and the favourite of the kids). Beyond that, just find books as well a signs out and about of interest will be of great help. My son quite enjoys reading the TV guide to catch us on when his favourite shows are going to be on.

Lexiejack Sun 10-Jul-11 23:07:40

Where can you buy Jane and Peter books?

mamsnet Mon 18-Jul-11 15:47:47

I'm actually teaching my DD to read in English at the moment. We're in Spain and she's learning in Spanish at School. Seeing how easy Spanish is for her to pick up (she's practically taught herself) has made me realize just how complex English is!
Anyway, from hanging about on various boards and reading up, I've decided not to go entirely with one or other system. So we're working through the Jolly Phonics, but using Peter and Jane too. I really like their emphasis on frequently occurring words.. I got them on Amazon.
But, most of all, I agree with Shiplan. A lot of it is about pointing out how important words are and how children slowly absorb them into their world imo.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Mon 18-Jul-11 15:53:38

the Peter and Jane books are the Ladybird Key Words Reading scheme books, and are readily available in all good book shops.

the levels are numbered, then within each level you have :
a - which are learn the words
b - which are practise the words
and c - which are write the words.

goosiegander Tue 19-Jul-11 06:47:43

Franklin Watts to a good range designed to support reading schemes and encourage independent reading - for different ages and abilities. Examples include How To Teach A Dragon Manners, Mr Spotty's Potty, Flora Mcquack and rewrites of the fairytales.

Lexiejack Tue 19-Jul-11 10:40:03

Got the first 2 Peter and Jane. Do I just point out each word as I go? Or just read it like a story? So confused!!

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Tue 19-Jul-11 10:44:08

a bit of both, i think lexie
I think you're supposed to help them read it, then reiterate the words they've learned as they go along.
the idea with those, is that they're words they'll learn by heart, so it won't hurt to keep looking at it till they sink in. smile

mamsnet Tue 19-Jul-11 11:35:50

I also bought the Peter and Jane keywords flashcards.. we played about with them a bit (close your eyes and tell me which word I have taken away.. that kind of thing) a little first so she more or less read the first book when she opened it and it did wondersfor her confidence.
I'm not normally a flashcards fan, but I really think that learning all the words like you, the, are etc really is that important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now