Talk

Advanced search

What next for 8yo boy who doesn't stop reading?

(49 Posts)
alana39 Thu 07-Jul-11 22:08:35

He'll happily pick up books he has previously read, all sorts of Astrosaurs / Captain Underpants etc but has asked if there are any other series of books now that he has finished Harry Potter / Percy Jackson. He's read most of the Roald Dahl ones, and has started on Mark Haddon's agent Z / boom books.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment as I'm wary of getting books that he can read, but isn't really mature enough to understand or appreciate properly.

Any suggestions would be very welcome so I can find something good before we go on holiday. Thanks.

snicker Thu 07-Jul-11 22:13:20

Enid Blyton? They are seemingly endless.

irregularegular Thu 07-Jul-11 22:16:00

My 7 Yr old Harry Potter fan also enjoys: Narnia, Famous Five etc, Eva Ibbotson, and (I'm afraid) endless Beastquest.

iheartdusty Thu 07-Jul-11 22:19:12

books by David Walliams (Mr Stink, Boy in a Dress - not really a series, but entertaining and well written IMO)

Mr Gum books by Andy Stanton

Moomin series by Tove Jansson

Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence

alana39 Thu 07-Jul-11 22:20:32

He's over Beast Quest thankfully (younger brother just beginning though!).

Had forgotten Narnia, think we have some old copies someone gave us somewhere. Will go and look up Eva Ibbotson...

I've tried Enid Blyton - have a few Famous Five but he wasn't very keen.

superfrenchie1 Thu 07-Jul-11 22:20:40

i went to my local bookshop (well, okay... wh smiths...) the other day and got tons of inspiration wandering around the appropriate section for that age - i also have an 8yo boy who's a voracious reader and had the same question

he ended up with some football stories and an anthony horowitz that he hasn't put down since - and there were loads that looked great - we'll be going back again.

has he read the david walliams books?

Terribletriplets Thu 07-Jul-11 22:21:06

Roaul Dahl.

Terribletriplets Thu 07-Jul-11 22:21:29

To Kill a Mockingbird.

Terribletriplets Thu 07-Jul-11 22:22:38

Narnia. What a lovely problem to have, (sincerely). smile

VinoEsmeralda Thu 07-Jul-11 22:23:39

Horrible Histories & Science and Andy Stanton books.

also shortly coming out is Crusade in jeans by Thea Beckman- Amazing book

Tommy Thu 07-Jul-11 22:25:32

would second Mr Gum
and maybe go for classics -Tom's Midnight Garden, 5 Children and It, Phoenix and the Carpet, Railway Children etc

Themumsnot Thu 07-Jul-11 22:27:44

My 8-year-old girl is very into series and has just finished the Lemony Snickets and started on the Roman mysteries. Both very boy-friendly.

mercibucket Thu 07-Jul-11 22:28:34

agree with the classics, there's loads of good stuff out there for 8+
ds is also v keen on the 'how to train your dragon' series

beanlet Thu 07-Jul-11 22:32:14

I was a fantasy fiend as a child and I loved Dianna Wynne Jones - there's one called Cart and Cwidder that features an 8 year old boy in the starring role. I also read The Hobbit when I was 6 - at that age I was too young for it but I reckon 8 would be about right. Also loved Narnia and endless Enid Blyton.

LeonieDeSaintVire Thu 07-Jul-11 22:33:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choirmum Thu 07-Jul-11 22:36:41

I agree with the Alex Rider suggestion - my son loves them. Also Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

madwomanintheattic Thu 07-Jul-11 22:37:58

last summer when ds1 was 8 he discovered percy jackson. it was fabulous and he spent the summer hols reading and re-reading the entire series - absolutely addicited, and still re-reads them avidly a year later. so i'd recommend rick riordan, definitely (he's just got the newish second book in the other rr series, and is equally smitten).

Selks Thu 07-Jul-11 22:38:16

Stig of the Dump
The Borrowers
Tom's Midnight Garden
The Iron Man
books by Dick King Smith
Tove Jansson Moomintroll books
The Secret Garden
Chronicles of Narnia

madwomanintheattic Thu 07-Jul-11 22:38:37

oops, additional i... dunno where that came from.

mercibucket Thu 07-Jul-11 22:40:09

oooh biggles, had forgotten all about that one!

madwomanintheattic Thu 07-Jul-11 22:40:31

....and just realised you mentioned pj in the foirst line but i missed it. blush
ignore me, nothing to see here...

the other rr stuff looks ok though. honest. but you'll be waiting on publishing dates past the first two...

mo3d Thu 07-Jul-11 22:45:51

Has he read the Beaver Towers series. From memory I think there are 4 in the series, by Nigel Hinton. They were a hit with my 8 year old.

Fiendarina Thu 07-Jul-11 22:47:57

Perhaps some other classic books:
Arthur Ransome books starting with Swallows and Amazons
Susan Cooper series The Dark is Rising
Norman Hunter books about Professor Branestawm
Hugh Lofting series of Dr Doolittle books
Maybe a bit too young yet for the Philip Pullman trilogy, Northern Lights, The Amber Spyglass and The Subtle Knife?

coccyx Thu 07-Jul-11 22:50:11

michael murpurgo???

Backinthebox Thu 07-Jul-11 22:59:00

Willard Price Adventure Series? Swallows and Amazons? Rider Hagard novels? And of course, The Hobbit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now