Talk

Advanced search

Which of these Michael morpurgo books would be suitable for 6-7 year old boy?

(13 Posts)
virgiltracey Wed 29-Jun-11 12:11:50

DS1 (6) is a complete book worm and will basically pick up anything and read it but has become a bit fixated on Beast Quest. It doesn't help that he free reads at school and they allow him to chose whatever reading book he wants from the library (and there are 60ish of the blooming things to get through!). As a result I have been trying to find something completely different for the story that is read to him at bedtime and have bought the MM boxset from bookpeople.
I know that some of the books in the set will be too old for him and my intention was to read them before they are read to him to see what I think but I'm not sure I have enough hours in the day!

Is anyone able to give a view on this list. he is quite grown up for his age and has great vocabulary and his comprehension is good but he is also inclined to be a bit of a sensitive soul. We have started the Butterfly Lion and he is really enjoying it so far!

Cool
Adolphus Tips
Toro Toro
King of the Cloud Forests
Dear Olly
Escape from Shangri la
Why the Whales came
Private Peaceful
Born to Run
Kensuke's kingdom
Long way home
wreck of zanzibar
Mr Nobodys Eyes
kaspur prince of cats
war Horse

Thanks!!

mummytime Wed 29-Jun-11 12:21:12

Adolphus Tips.

Not Private Peaceful or War Horse, and he'd probably find The Wreck of the Zanzibar boring.
Why not try Roald Dahl? Book people usually have him as a boxed set.

smartyparts Wed 29-Jun-11 12:24:43

I would agree, not War Horse & Private Peaceful might be too upsetting. Adolphus Tips would be a great start. Both of mine loved Why the Whales Came from a young age.

mrsruffallo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:28:56

kaspur prince of cats would be a goodone In think

lottiejenkins Wed 29-Jun-11 12:36:52

Farm Boy isnt on the list, i think that would be great if you havent read it already!! My ds has learning difficulties, his reading age is about ten now (he's fourteen) He is obsessed with MP at the mo!! I have just bought him Kaspur and Not Bad for a Bad Lad for his birthday!!

mrsruffallo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:40:22

There was another one about cats- I thinkk it was called Moctezuma. That's a great one too.
Lottie- my daughter is obsessed with MM atm too. I love thw ay he writes for kids.

lottiejenkins Wed 29-Jun-11 12:52:13

Mrsr.....The lovely headmaster at the school where i work offered to lend ds a signed copy (the only signed one out of six) of MM's latest.. i spluttered loudly and said that an ordinary copy was fine!!

lockets Wed 29-Jun-11 12:54:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsruffallo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:55:36

Wow! Lucky you. The new book sounds great, I even tried to get tickets to this but it sold out very quickly. Dd would have loved it!

lottiejenkins Wed 29-Jun-11 12:58:24

The new one (not bad for a bad lad) is all to do with Hollesley Bay Remand Centre which is near where i live.

singersgirl Wed 29-Jun-11 13:48:26

If your son is quite sensitive bear in mind that even the most cheerful of Morpurgo books will probably have him sobbing. Butterfly Lion is terribly sad at the end (DS2 read it at about your son's age and was very upset).
Cool - narrator is boy in a coma who thinks his dog has been killed
Toro Toro - narrator's entire family killed in Spanish Civil War
Wreck of Zanzibar - DS says it's one of the least sad though of course there is a shipwreck
Adolphus Tips - wartime
Dear Olly - sick children in African orphanage
Born to run - mistreatment of dog
Escape from Shangri-La - wartime, amnesia, stroke witnessed by child
Long Way Home - unhappy boy being fostered
Kensuke's Kingdom - boy falls overboard and stranded on island
The Sleeping Sword which you haven't mentioned is narrated by a boy blinded in an accident.

Of course most of the books feature redemption, reconciliation, heartwarming recoveries but to be honest they're all a bit .... upsetting.

DS (now 9) starts every book eager to find out in what way it will be sad.

goosiegander Thu 30-Jun-11 06:59:46

I would highly recommend Kensuke's Kingdom (pronounced Kenski btw!)

loosinas Mon 04-Jul-11 14:51:30

i cant wait to read morpurgo to my son but at not quite six i dont think hes ready! hes not HUGELY sensitive but i really think morpurgos books are very upsetting and have a level of maturity hes not ready for.. am i wrong ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now