Talk

Advanced search

Books for 17-month-old bookworm?

(12 Posts)
JoInScotland Wed 22-Jun-11 22:07:23

My son is a complete bookworm, and we've check out everything from the library that is suitable for a toddler in terms of content and non-rippable pages... though he is quite careful now with paper pages. We can't really afford to buy new books all the time, but I try to get at least one or two a month....

He has several Eric Carle books - The Very Hungry Caterpillar, My Very First Book of Food, etc - and other classics like Good Night Moon and several of the "Buster" books.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of what to buy him next? He has a little book section in his playroom and can be found there, reading, whenever I have to leave the room to use the toilet or make lunch, dinner, etc. I really can not believe how much he loves books and I don't want to magic to die because he's bored....

Reality Wed 22-Jun-11 22:08:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CombineArvester Wed 22-Jun-11 22:15:47

Spot books, dear zoo, gruffalo, mick inkpen books, janet & allen ahlberg, shirley hughes.....all the 'that's not my soul crumbling' books they like but parents really hate.

Sometimes children's centres have their own libraries btw. And children's books are quite cheap in charity shops / ebay and things.

shineoncrazydiam0nd Thu 23-Jun-11 08:04:11

John Paul Sartre is my recommendation, although he could be a little past that now.

JoInScotland Thu 23-Jun-11 20:02:53

Thanks CombineArvester, I've never heard of Mick Inkpen or Janet & Allen Ahlberg. I hate the "that's not my * books as well" but we occasionally get one out from the library if he chooses it.

DeWe Thu 23-Jun-11 20:43:22

Little Princess, Bunny and Bee books, Mog (cat) books, Alfie and Annie Rose, Night Pirates, The baby who wouldn't go to bed, , Noddy, Topsy and Tim, Usborne experience books. All ones mine have enjoyed at that age. Bunny and Bee is a good starting to read book. Dd2 learnt lots of words from there by reading them to herself.
Go round charity shops. Often they have books for only about 10p or so.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 23-Jun-11 20:48:39

Charity shops are fab for kids books with no guilt about them getting trashed. Sartre and Tolstoy are so banal. My 6 month old prefers Camus and Nietsche

ShipleyGlen Fri 24-Jun-11 15:32:19

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Love-You-Even-If/dp/1581175574

Sinople Sat 25-Jun-11 10:23:22

My daughter is 18m, here are a few of her favourites:
as well as some of the one's mentioned
Brown bear, Brown Bear what do you see
Dig, Dig, Digging
I know a rhino
A very busy spider
I'll teach my dog 100 words
Julia Donaldson books
Maisy's colour collection
Baby einsteins See and spy shapes
One fish two fish, red fish blue fish
Barnyard Dance
Hippo's go biserk
Big Red Bath
Come on Daisy
Peace at last
Owl babies
Little lion lost
have you seen my potty
calm down boris
jamberry
a potty for me
goose on the loose
... that's all i can think of at the moment... we have a book worm too!!

working9while5 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:05:08

Is he one who likes you reading and the rhythm of it? My 18 month old mostly loves things that rhyme and with good rhythm but is mostly interested in sitting on our laps and having a cuddle, so enjoys longer books as it gives him more time to do what he enjoys most!

Dig Dig Digging is the NUMBER ONE in this house
Any of the Julia Donaldson ones (Stick Man a big hit too at the moment, loves the Snail and the Whale, Monkey Puzzle etc)
Try some wordless ones - Good night Gorilla, Hug etc
Peepo
Dear Zoo
Each Peach Pear Plum
The elephant and the bad baby

Just follow what he wants really. He'll lead you to the books I think! I am not fussy if it's something he enjoys and if he wants to look at the pictures instead of listen to us read, that's fine too.

working9while5 Sat 25-Jun-11 21:05:47

Oh also second Peace at Last.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Sat 25-Jun-11 22:09:35

Hairy maclary books are fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now