Talk

Advanced search

I need a book that means something for ds's 1st birthday

(6 Posts)
IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Wed 22-Jun-11 09:29:21

When I was little I always got a book from my grandad for my birthday with a little message written on the inside cover. The idea was that as he had not been able to learn to read properly until he was an adult, he wanted me to have every opportunity.

Now, I would like to carry on this tradition with ds, but for me the message I would like to send him is that he can do anything/be anything he wants as long as he tries because he is great and fantastic etc etc.

So until he is old enough to tell me which books he wants, I want to get him books which have this sort of meaning to them.

I have found Dr Seuss' Oh, The Places You'll Go! but I was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions? (because I think it the message in the Dr Seuss's book would be more suited to a first day of school).

Thank you!

cloudydays Wed 22-Jun-11 09:38:09

what about this one?

or this?

The message is "no matter what you do, how you behave, how you feel, etc. I will always love you just because of who you are."

I know it's not exactly along the lines of the Seuss book, but something like this might be a really nice starting point for the collection, to lay the foundation that whatever great things your ds does or doesn't do in his life, your love for him is absolute and unconditional.

I think your book collection is a great idea, and I love the connection with his great grandfather smile

PredictableDullard Wed 22-Jun-11 09:40:54

i like dr seuss 'the places you will go' i got choked up everytime i read it to dd

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Wed 22-Jun-11 09:55:38

I like those ideas cloudy thanks. And predictable I know! I read the text out to my sister and was nearly in tears!

I like this one too, but you can't buy it in the uk yet.

I think I'm going to buy all the ones I like so I have a nice little stock pile ready for each birthday!

BellaBearisWideAwake Wed 22-Jun-11 09:57:58

I was going to suggest the dr seuss book! My sister read a modified version of it at our wedding

moajab Wed 22-Jun-11 13:54:30

You Choose by Pippa Goodhart and Nick Sharrat. It's a fantastic book for talking, perhaps for slightly older toddlers. They get to choose who they would like to be, where to go, what to eat, what job and hobby they like and eventually where to sleep! Definitly a great book for getting your DS to think that not even the sky is the limit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now