Talk

Advanced search

After Horrid Henry...what books with strong moral messages and values please?

(15 Posts)
Sugarbeach Tue 21-Jun-11 19:33:34

Any recommendation please for DD's summer reading?

Hopefully, she's now moved on from the Rainbow Fairies for good, and would like her to read books a little more meaningful. TIA.

K999 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:35:21

How old is she?

Sugarbeach Tue 21-Jun-11 19:36:05

How do I Edit a message I posted on MNs? Sorry, still fairly new here.

Sugarbeach Tue 21-Jun-11 19:36:29

Nearly 7.

K999 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:37:24

My DD liked reading Enid Blyton Famous Five books at that age.

Sugarbeach Tue 21-Jun-11 19:39:30

Thank you. Will check those out in Amazon.

pointydog Tue 21-Jun-11 19:46:55

Have a look and see if it's still possible to buy the Josie SMith books. By Magdalene McNabb, I think.

Dd2 loved those books at that age. Josie is a feisty little girl (and so are the other children she knows) but the values are just lovely. Strong, straightforward, honest. Enjoyable stories that most children will be able to identify with.

pointydog Tue 21-Jun-11 19:48:22

Here they are. Only available second hand, currently out of print unfortunately.

Takver Tue 21-Jun-11 20:40:07

I like the How to Train your Dragon books - lots of good morals about it being ok to be different, not being a bully, hard work and lots of effort winning out over brute force & ignorance etc. And they're very good stories grin

Takver Tue 21-Jun-11 20:41:43

If she's just moving on from Rainbow magic & likes animals, the Animal Ark books are quite similar in that there's hundreds of them with the same characters (so that comfort read thing). But there's definitely a bit more too them, and Mandy & her friend (can't remember his name) are good on being helpful, considerate etc.

AKMD Wed 22-Jun-11 21:30:41

The Worst Witch ones are good.

Blu Wed 22-Jun-11 21:34:31

Humphrey Hamster.
Novels told from the pov of a classroom hamster. he observes al the friendships and adventures of the children - funny, warm and Admirable Values!

PredictableDullard Wed 22-Jun-11 21:34:56

witch baby books by debbi gliori, dd loves them. also mr gum

AKMD Wed 22-Jun-11 21:58:39

Oh, and the Pongwiffy series (I'm not obsessed by witch books, honest!).

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 22-Jun-11 22:04:36

DD (and I) loved Rumer Godden around that age. I can't tell you how I looked forward to reading about Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, Little Plum and The Dolls' House. Such a joy - full of emotion, longing, intricate detail - absolutely recommend them as a total delight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now