Talk

Advanced search

Help please! Book Club Name?

(24 Posts)
nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:12:39

One of my customers is in the process of setting up a reading group/book club for Children.
He's got some great ideas, and he's made a recommended reading list, he's going to have club membeship cards etc.
Its aim is to get hte kids reading - so he's recommending the library as well as my shop, but he's struggling to think of a name.

Can anyone please help?
There are about 13 kids in the club so far, of ages from 5 to 13.

He has only come up with Reading Rangers so far (but he thinks it'll be vetoed because he's a QPR fan....)
I thought something like
Book Explorers
and I found Chatterbooks on the web (but there seem to be a network of those)

Any suggestions will be gratefulyl received.
TIA

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:36:17

bump

LadyInPink Tue 14-Jun-11 12:39:14

Book Buddies?

bartonian Tue 14-Jun-11 12:41:49

Bookworms?
Bookaneers (sorry, bit cheesy but it just popped into my head, think I am being over influenced by 6 yr old DS's bad jokes)?

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:53:17

ooh, Bookaneers! grin
i like it!

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 12:53:52

Keep 'em coming - I'll be sending ideas to the book club so they can vote on a shortlist.

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 13:53:39

another bump.
smile

KnottyLocks Tue 14-Jun-11 14:54:47

Bookie Monsters

nickelbabe Tue 14-Jun-11 15:38:12

grin

more more!

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 14-Jun-11 16:26:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bartonian Tue 14-Jun-11 17:43:48

Let us know what you decide, I would be really interested to know.

Plus BC I used to be a graphic designer, so let me know if you need any help designing membership cards etc.

lifeissobusy Tue 14-Jun-11 19:59:32

The adventurers (hoping each book will lead to another adventure!!!!!)

madamehooch Tue 14-Jun-11 21:32:19

My primary reading groups are all called 'Discovery Club'. We have 'Discovery Clubs' for different year groups in about three schools now. My instore pre-school reading group is 'Explorer Club'. The reasoning behind 'Discovery Club' is that we try new books in the hope of 'discovering' something new. We even have badges - they're rarer than Blue Peter badges - and each time an author visits one of the participating schools, they're made honorary members of the club.

I'm interested to see how your customer is going to make it work with thirteen children of such differing ages. I have different reading groups for different year groups - in that way, we can shadow age appropriate book awards and all read and discuss the same book.

So far as a name for your club is concerned, I don't mind you using 'Explorer' Club but am fiercely protective of 'Discovery Club' - our name is known in children's book circles ............. Of course, now I've told you, I'm going to have to kill you........... smile)

Could you keep us updated with how he gets on?

Thanks

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 11:10:35

ooh, bartonian thank you smile

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 11:11:27

madame gringrin

Can I use plays on Discovery Club?
like Discoverers or something? (maybe not Discoverers cos it doesn't sound as good!)

madamehooch Wed 15-Jun-11 12:59:08

nickelbabe. I've got no copyright on the name so am relying on the bookseller code (we're a dying breed and need to look out for each other).

The only problem I have is that 'Discovery Club' is associated with the bookshop I work for.

Of course, if it is used, I have no one to blame but myself for blowing my own trumpet on this forum .......

Explorer Club is good - you are exploring new books after all.

Keep me updated. It's always nice to talk about these things with a fellow book anorak.

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 13:02:37

madame, I certainly don't want to tread on any toes.
I do like Discovery Club, of course, but if it is attached to yours, then I will not pass it on.
But I might passon something similar.
I like Explorer club, as you suggest.
smile

madamehooch Wed 15-Jun-11 14:16:26

Thanks nickel - knew you'd understand.

Maybe our reading groups could contact each other?

Whereabouts is your shop?

x

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 14:38:28

maybe they could, that would be cool.

I'm in kent - sittingbourne.

madamehooch Wed 15-Jun-11 15:58:37

I think (I hope(!)) I've emailed you in RL ..............

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 15:59:58

you did!
grin

I've replied.

nickelbabe Wed 15-Jun-11 16:00:44

how funny would that be if you'd emailed someone completely random and they were going "eh?! confusedconfused what the jeff?Q confused"

nickelbabe Thu 16-Jun-11 14:41:30

quick bump to see if anyone's had their thinking hats on smile

nickelbabe Fri 17-Jun-11 12:00:18

bumpity bump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now