Talk

Advanced search

Moving on from Harry P/Lemony Snicket

(9 Posts)
Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 21:50:49

Any suggestions for good follow-ups to the HP series and the Unfortunate Events series? DS is 8, fluent reader, doesn't mind scary/nasty stuff - in fact positively enjoys it.

He is currently reading an 800-page manual on Lua programming language <mimes> help me

jade80 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:53:04

Philip Pullman trilogy- T'he Amber Spyglass' and the other two?

jongleuse Mon 13-Jun-11 21:55:42

Wow! With that kind of reading ability how about Mortal Engines Philllip Reeve? Quite dark but nothing too nasty. Scifi/steampunk. Or Diana Wynne Jones? (big influence on JK Rowling). Witch Week and Charmed Life good.

Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 22:08:27

Thanks jade80, think I will get Amber Spyglass out of the library and see how he goes with that

jongleuse - thanks grin Am hoping the computer programming will keep me in the style to which I intend to become accustomed, but am not sure it's ideal bedtime reading. Thanks for the suggestions too, will check them out.

Jux Mon 13-Jun-11 22:23:24

Diana eJones is fab (far better than JKR)
Artemis Fowle
Tin Tin

Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 23:01:59

Thanks Jux. DWJ definitely seems worth a try.

Takver Tue 14-Jun-11 18:55:19

Definitely Diana Wynne Jones - she's written loads of good books. Artemis Fowl is also good.

Has he read the Percy Jackson series? And Charlie Bone (tho the latter is very like HP)?

NathanM Mon 20-Jun-11 12:56:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Jux Mon 20-Jun-11 17:39:58

I have reported your post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: