Talk

Advanced search

Moving on from Harry P/Lemony Snicket

(9 Posts)
Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 21:50:49

Any suggestions for good follow-ups to the HP series and the Unfortunate Events series? DS is 8, fluent reader, doesn't mind scary/nasty stuff - in fact positively enjoys it.

He is currently reading an 800-page manual on Lua programming language <mimes> help me

jade80 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:53:04

Philip Pullman trilogy- T'he Amber Spyglass' and the other two?

jongleuse Mon 13-Jun-11 21:55:42

Wow! With that kind of reading ability how about Mortal Engines Philllip Reeve? Quite dark but nothing too nasty. Scifi/steampunk. Or Diana Wynne Jones? (big influence on JK Rowling). Witch Week and Charmed Life good.

Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 22:08:27

Thanks jade80, think I will get Amber Spyglass out of the library and see how he goes with that

jongleuse - thanks grin Am hoping the computer programming will keep me in the style to which I intend to become accustomed, but am not sure it's ideal bedtime reading. Thanks for the suggestions too, will check them out.

Jux Mon 13-Jun-11 22:23:24

Diana eJones is fab (far better than JKR)
Artemis Fowle
Tin Tin

Pram1nTheHall Mon 13-Jun-11 23:01:59

Thanks Jux. DWJ definitely seems worth a try.

Takver Tue 14-Jun-11 18:55:19

Definitely Diana Wynne Jones - she's written loads of good books. Artemis Fowl is also good.

Has he read the Percy Jackson series? And Charlie Bone (tho the latter is very like HP)?

NathanM Mon 20-Jun-11 12:56:10

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Jux Mon 20-Jun-11 17:39:58

I have reported your post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now