Talk

Advanced search

An impossible task: find the novel about a wild horse...

(33 Posts)
AllQuietOnThePippisFront Sun 12-Jun-11 15:45:20

... that I read non-stop when I was 12ish (I think).

I do not remember the title nor the name of the horse nor anything except it was about a pack of wild horses with particualr focus on one. Something like Spirit but without all that adventure.

Go on give me ideas, if nothing else I'll discover some new ones for my children.

Ah, I was 12 in 1986.

TIA

meditrina Sun 12-Jun-11 15:46:24

My Friend Flicka? Thunderhead (trilogy)?

GreenTeapot Sun 12-Jun-11 15:46:58

Was it about the brumbies in Australia?

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 15:48:45

The Silver Brumby series I would think?

thenightsky Sun 12-Jun-11 15:48:53

Ooh The Brumby Books.. but I see someone already said it.

GreenTeapot Sun 12-Jun-11 15:50:16

these?

I also remember Misty of Chincoteague ...

and Shantih.

I was the archetypal horsey girl blush

meditrina Sun 12-Jun-11 15:51:29

Third part of the trilogy is The Green Grass of Wyoming. All by Mary O'Hara.

There's also Tschiffiey's Ride, but I don't think that's the one you're after.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 12-Jun-11 15:52:46

I was going to say Misty of Chincoteague too. I sooo remember that book cover.

BelfastBloke Sun 12-Jun-11 15:54:20

It's probably not The Black Stallion series, about a wild desert Arabian horse which ends up racing in New York:

but there was a spin-off to that series about a red stallion called Flame who lived on an island.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 12-Jun-11 15:55:44

Oh gosh, the Shantih books! I desperately wanted my folks to up sticks and move to Scotland so I could be like Jinny Manders. Every time we went on holiday up there I hoped that they would announce we were staying for ever and not going back home so I could have a chestnut Arab and ride to school.

Strumpypumpy Sun 12-Jun-11 15:56:54

Monica Dickens?

GreenTeapot Sun 12-Jun-11 15:57:20

I know, those books were amazing. Although my experience of chestnut Arab mares is that they're all stroppy bags grin

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Sun 12-Jun-11 15:58:36

Oh thanks! smile

belfast bloke, no not the black stallion, although I obsessed about the film.

let me have a look at those.

My fear of libraries was born then, when, after taking this book out so many times, it disappeared and I never saw it again. Here I am 23 years later wondering what it was.

BelfastBloke Sun 12-Jun-11 16:11:39

If it wasn't the Silver Brumby series it bloody well should have been.

bruffin Sun 12-Jun-11 18:03:46

I am sure there were two different authors writing books about brumbies. There was Elaine Mitchell who wrote Silver Brumby but there were another set of books by an author nearer the end of the alpahbet. I have a picture in my mind of my library nearly 40 years ago and can picture where they were but not who the author was.

roisin Sun 12-Jun-11 18:18:38

Snowcloud Stallion

I loved this as a child.

roisin Sun 12-Jun-11 18:19:00

this was the copy I had

seeker Sun 12-Jun-11 18:23:26

I was going to say Silver Brumby or Thunderhead.

ANy Monica Edwards fans on here?

bruffin Sun 12-Jun-11 18:24:27

I have found the other Brumby books, they are by Mary Elwyn Patchett

FrozenChocolate Sun 12-Jun-11 18:38:55

Jinny at finmory was fabulous!!!

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 19:00:56

I re-read a Jinny book recently and didn't like it at all. Loads of moralising about why she should let various poor children ride Shantih and agonising about decisions. Weirdy subtext about her social worker father and his helper. I missed all that before, I was so enthralled at the idea of riding highland ponies to school and having a bedroom covered in pictures of horses.

SuePurblybilt Sun 12-Jun-11 19:01:46

Oh, love Monica Edwards, seeker (and Monica Dickens as it happens grin)

Southwestwhippet Sun 12-Jun-11 19:09:30

Was about to say almost certainly either the Mary Elwyn Patchett Brumby books or the Elaine Mitchell ones.

The Elaine Mitchell brumby was called Throwa. don't think the Mary Elwyn Patchett brumbies had names.

The business in the Jinny books with Ken is really wierd and never properly explained. I also have always wondered if the author Patricia Leitch is the same Patricia Leitch who wrote Cross Country Pony and various other 'lighter' more traditional pony books. Very different style but seems unlikely there would be two pony authors with the same name.???

Was it Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron?

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 12-Jun-11 20:02:11

If I was Mrs Manders I'd have been more than a little concerned about some hippy teenager wandering off over the moors all day with my pubescent daughter! Though not as worried as I'd have been about her spending half her life on (and off) a bolting horse! She seemed rather pre-occupied with decorating their mausoleum of a house, if I remember rightly.

Actually, I had a hot spot for Ken - I wanted him to be my brother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now