Talk

Advanced search

Beginner chapter books for DS (6.5)

(12 Posts)
AnonymousBird Wed 08-Jun-11 18:35:10

He has suddenly surged in his reading ability, and is eating up his school reading books, and is close to being put on the school reading scheme "chapter books".

Any recommendations of a good set/brand of fairly basic chapter books for a yr 1 boy that I could have for him at home as well?

lovecheese Wed 08-Jun-11 19:14:57

The shorter Roald Dahl's are a good starting point, eg. F. Mr Fox, The Twits, The Magic Finger; a "proper" book but short enough to be do-able at that age.

jongleuse Wed 08-Jun-11 20:59:58

DS (6) has devoured Horrid Henry, Mr Gum (Andy Stanton) Astrosaurs (Steve Cole) and Bare Bum Gang (Anthony McGowan).

JemimaMop Wed 08-Jun-11 21:06:42

Horrid Henry were the first chapter books that my boys read at a similar age. DS2 loved Terry Deary's Roman/Egyptian/Greek Tales, and still reads them now if he wants something quick to read. Also Dirty Bertie, The adventures of Bob and Barry and the easier Roald Dahl books. They graduated onto Mr Gum afterwards, although they are easy to read they are quite long and so can be a bit off putting when just starting out.

streptococcus Wed 08-Jun-11 21:10:36

I'd second/third roald dahl- the twits is a good one to start with.... moving onto georges marvellous medicine etc afterwards as they're a bit longer.
we also have a big collection of horrible histories books that ds1 loved "dipping into" at this age ( and still reads now).

wearymum200 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:42:40

DS (5.2) loves: Dinosaur cove, Astrosaurs, Magic Tree House, Usborne young reading (Series 1-3, obv starts easier and moves up, series 3 are reasonably complex stories: we loved Beowulf, Sorcerer's apprentice, Magical Book). Also try Captain underpants, Prince jake, Oliver Moon, Jake Cake

AnonymousBird Thu 09-Jun-11 06:42:07

Thanks everyone, some great ideas here. Cheers.

dikkertjedap Thu 09-Jun-11 20:56:51

Usborne first reading books, they got many to choose from

MrsMagnolia Mon 13-Jun-11 18:55:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

redskyatnight Tue 14-Jun-11 11:02:04

Magic Treehouse (Mary Pope Osborn) are good shorter chapter books - and a good blend of fiction and non-fiction.

jeee Tue 14-Jun-11 11:02:58

My DD adored Jeremy Strong.

DamselInDisarray Tue 14-Jun-11 11:08:43

The Dick King Smith books are lovely for beginning readers. They're mostly about animals and can be very funny.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: