Talk

Advanced search

WHat are your DD's reactions to THE LITTLE WHITE HORSE?

(6 Posts)
jenpp Sun 05-Jun-11 13:18:16

So excited when I discovered Elizabeth Goudge's The Little WHite Horse had been re-published - was one of my all-time favourite childhood books. Recently re-read it and still completely enchanted by it for all its sugaryness - so bitterly disappointed when DD put it down after a few chapters. She read The Dream Dealer in 48 hours and is now devouring The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. Have times changed so much? Did any of your DD's appreciate it?

meditrina Sun 05-Jun-11 13:23:05

DD is still a bit young for it.

It was one of my favourite books as a girl (and I seriously considered Loveday as a name for DD because of it), so am interested in this thread (in case I need to brace myself against disappointment like jenpp's).

DeWe Sun 05-Jun-11 20:51:59

DD1 liked it. Must get it out for dd2, it's more her sort of book though. Dd1 liked Linnets and Valerians too, but preferred Smokey House.
I don't think Little White Horse has been out of print. Don't bother with the recent film. It would have been better named "Names from TLWH and nothing much else to do with the book". Hate it when films do that.

cory Wed 08-Jun-11 10:33:11

Dd thought it was ok, but not the best she had read: I didn't like it much but then I only read it as an adult, so have no fond childhood memories. We both enjoy a lot of classics from the early and mid- 20th century, so don't think it's about changing tastes; just didn't feel this was that wonderful.

Both agree that the Boy in the Stripe Pyjamas is a shit piece of writing.

QueenOfFeckingEverything Wed 08-Jun-11 10:36:16

DD read it age 7 and loved it.

RosieMBanks Sat 11-Jun-11 11:10:14

My DD is too young for it, but I have my old copy waiting for her. I adored TLWH and then read lots of Elizabeth Goudge's books - I really loved 'Towers in the Mist' about an Elizabethan family in Oxford.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: