Talk

Advanced search

LADYBIRD BOOKS...

(7 Posts)
spiderbabymum Sun 29-May-11 21:00:21

I grew up on these in the 70s .

I remember some of the pictures so vividly .

I now have a 4 year old ..... And id really love to find a collection of books that we could purchase gradually.......and build up slowly .

has anyone found something to replace classic ladybird books . ?
Thanks

PigeonPie Sun 29-May-11 21:03:16

You can still get a lot of them. I've got quite a collection from my childhood and I was amazed when I went into the bookshop the other day that the Peter and Jane books are still in print. With their original text and pictures - just slightly glossier covers!

spiderbabymum Sun 29-May-11 21:06:05

I vaguely remember liking the ones with various collections eg , plants and how they grow , ? accidents etc .

I spose I could trawl E bay but they are usually so well used ....I d rather sth fresher

spiderbabymum Sun 29-May-11 21:09:22

theese kind
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-ladybird-books-/180671527135?pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item2a10dcb8df

Ignore "vintage " price

spiderbabymum Sun 29-May-11 21:11:26

OMG .. peter and jane . My dad taught me to read on those .

I got so good I was quickly sent off to school ....aged 3 .

Took me a long time to recover ..

Still love those books tho

PigeonPie Sun 29-May-11 21:11:30

Yes, we've got those sorts of ones and the 'What to Look for in' series.

I've just looked up on the Ladybird site, but haven't managed to come up with any of the titles I can remember (can't check what we've got as we're away at the moment).

spiderbabymum Sun 29-May-11 21:17:27

Thanks .
Theres so many Beautiful books for children ...but they are all so big , expensivend seem so temporary ...no matter how good ...Just part of our throwaway culture.

so , ive started using the library which i enjoy .

But i would love to get a week book once a week say , inexpensive , and collectable .

Reckon the book publishers need to cotton on to this .

We also buy a magazine a week ...... which I hate buying .....so many plastic bits ....all ends up in the bin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now