Talk

Advanced search

good books to read to a 6 year old girl.

(15 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Fri 27-May-11 20:47:42

Hi, my daughter still loves picture books such as the Gruffalo etc but she was bought some Puddles the naughty puppy books for her birthday and she really likes them. I read them too her as she can't read. She has SEN's but will sit with me for ages while I read to her.
Someone recomended Tumtum and Nutmeg books but I'm not sure if they's be too hard for her to understand?
She likes anything to do with animals, fairy's, princesses and babies.

Also, does anyone know a good site where I can get audio CD's for her? Just to give me a break from reading. wink

TotalChaos Fri 27-May-11 20:55:50

rainbow fairies books? not exactly the best written books (v formulaic) but nice colour illustrations and zillions in the series.

mummyloveslucy Fri 27-May-11 21:16:22

I did buy her one of those, I saw it in a charity shop and the fairy was called Lucy. I haven't read it to her yet, I'll see what it's like and if she loves it but I don't, it can always be Daddy's turn to read. wink

mummyloveslucy Fri 27-May-11 21:40:56

bump

lifeissobusy Sat 28-May-11 08:26:52

My daughter loves Amelia Jane by Enid Blyton.

cazzybabs Sat 28-May-11 13:50:33

my naughty little sister

sophie books by dick king smith

sheltie books - can't remember who wrote therm but they have a shetland pony in

the far away tree

pippi longstocking

the wombles

milly molly mandy

mummyloveslucy Sun 29-May-11 12:13:03

Thanks everyone, She does like my naughty little sister. I think she'd like Sheltie books too, they sound nice. I'll write down this list and take it with me when we next go shopping. I actually bought her a Milly molly mandy colection yesterday, before I read this. smile I used to love it as a child.

Brightredstar Sun 29-May-11 17:13:54

This one is a joy to read as an adult

www.amazon.co.uk/Clemency-Pogue-Killer-J-T-Petty/dp/1416901434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306685442&sr=1-1-spell

Some quite complex language though

free audio classics here

librivox.org/ things like Alice in wonderland etc

magicmelons Sun 29-May-11 20:13:28

Any of the Shirley Hughes books, Mary Kate, My dd graduated from picture books onto Teddy Robinson she found it difficult at first but progressed quickly from there. They love Lotta books and Mrs Pepperpot too.

We have just discovered Eloise in this house and are hooked my dd is 6 although the text can be quite rambling in a Charlie and Lola sort of way so might not be for everyone.

magicmelons Sun 29-May-11 20:14:52

Sorry that second paragraph has no punctuation sort of like Eloise blush <tired>

Thelmapeace Sun 29-May-11 22:40:39

My 6 yr old loves this.
There is also a cd and she reads/listens to it over and over again.

SpangledPandemonium Sun 29-May-11 22:43:52

Ottoline books by Chris Riddell

BarryShitpeas Sun 29-May-11 22:45:04

Anne Fine's Janie and Angus

LIZS Mon 30-May-11 09:58:17

Paddington by Michael Bond, Teddy Robinson

Brightredstar Mon 30-May-11 11:08:01

I agree Ottoline is wonderful also would suggest the Little house Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: