Talk

Advanced search

What do you think are the best recently released kids books

(64 Posts)
Brightredstar Fri 27-May-11 11:47:32

What do you think are the best recently released kids books ? I am looking for something new and preferably not to do with vampires for the 9 - 12 age range or early teens. Any suggestions. Everything seems to be smothered in vampires and depressed looking girls at the moment. grin

zeus123 Fri 27-May-11 13:46:44

The invention of Hugo cabret and I am sure there are others but can't remember any now.

wolfbrother Fri 27-May-11 14:31:34

How recent do you mean?

Brightredstar Fri 27-May-11 14:33:22

Maybe the last year if possible. Doesn't matter really though, just looking for new ideas. Thanks.

DontCallMePeanut Fri 27-May-11 15:06:13

Not so much "recent", but Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and Coraline make for good reading.

And The Looking Glass Wars, although I can't remember the author and google is too much effort for me

Nat38 Fri 27-May-11 15:16:54

My DD is really into Diary of a Wimpy Kid books there are about 6 of them & the movies have just started to come out. She`s just turned 11.

Popbiscuit Fri 27-May-11 15:46:25

I really like Stargirl.

IndigoBell Fri 27-May-11 15:51:57

Is Noughts and Crosses recent enough? It's very good

madamehooch Fri 27-May-11 15:59:38

'Emerald Atlas' - John Stephens - first of a big fantasy trilogy with touches of Dark Materials, Narnia and Lemony Snicket

'Half Brother' - Kenneth Oppel - my personal favourite at the moment. The story of a chimp being raised as a human child.

'Trash' - Andy Mulligan - A teenage slumdog millionaire. The author based his story on the dumpsites of Manilla. Shortlisted for Redhouse. Controversially removed from Blue Peter Award because of a swear word (used entirely within context of the book.)

'Unhooking the Moon' - Gregory Hughes - A brother and sister's road trip across Canada and America to find family. Won the Booktrust Teen prize last year.

'Time Riders' - Alex Scarrow - new book recently out. Fantastic series - a mix of Doctor Who, history and The Terminator (but not so violent!)

'Johnny Swanson' - Eleanor Updale - a 1920's whodunnit for kids with a mix of Agatha Christie and 'The Apprentice.'

'Starcrossed' - Percy Jackson meets Twilight! (no vampires though)

'Department 19' - yes, there's vampires but it's more Dracula meets Alex Rider.

'Cosmic' - Frank Cottrell Boyce - more recent than new but definitely worth a read.

'Grace' and 'Once', 'Then' and 'Now' - Morris Gleitzman - the first is the story of a young girl's life within an extremist Christian sect - touching and humourous. The 'Once' trilogy is must read for any children with an interest in World War II - it's the step before 'Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.'

'My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece' - a young boy's life is blighted by a tragedy which threatens to destory his family. So good and the audio is narratted by David Tennant!

Don't forget Michael Grant, Derek Landy, Charlie Higson, Sophie McKenzie - I could go on but I'll stop now.

meditrina Fri 27-May-11 16:04:19

Anything by Ali Sparkes

meditrina Fri 27-May-11 16:06:21

Sorry, I meant any book by Ali Sparkes ("anything" wasn't meant to be a title). The Shapeshifter series is going down well here at the moment and there are others.

inthesticks Fri 27-May-11 16:17:57

DS2 is 13 and very fond of apocalypse / end of civilisation /zombie stuff.
His recent discovery was M.G Harris Joshua Files, Ice Shock and Invisible City.

nickelbabe Fri 27-May-11 16:46:39

I love the Pseudonymous Bosch books
the first one is The name of this book is secret.

it's very good - a murder mystery but for kids, and has synesthaesia in it.
(the others don't have that, though)
twists and turns all over the place.

andthe Tanya Landman Poppy Fields mysteries - they're murder too

(I'm listing things I have on my cool bogof offer on spies and murder mysteries.... oops)
(but they are genuinely good suggestions - I'm just scanning the shop and they're the best ones to pop straight out at me)

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 16:52:58

DDs LOVES - as in won't put down & gets through several a week of - the Goosebumps books - currently mad about the Horrorland series - not new & horror, but they've got her reading again, so who cares smile

nickelbabe Fri 27-May-11 16:54:58

ah, yes -t hey've recently been re-released , so we can class those as new!
they're pretty popular.

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 16:55:43

Making a note of your Pseudonym Bosch book nickel sounds like something else DD might like - thanks

Great idea for a thread BTW smile

stealthsquiggle Fri 27-May-11 17:05:39

marking my place to come back and build DS's Amazon wish list up a bit grin

TheRedQueen Fri 27-May-11 17:35:24

Mr Stink.

Sorry, can't remember who it's by.

cordyblue Fri 27-May-11 17:45:24

Michael Morpurgo - Shadow

My DC adored it recently!

Brightredstar Fri 27-May-11 17:50:48

Wow thanks for all the amazing suggestions ! There are loads we hadn't tried there.

SnowWoman Fri 27-May-11 18:01:18

Deeper than Blue, and others by Jill Hucklesby
Artichoke hearts by Sita Brahmachari
The Great Cat Conspiracy - Katie Davies
Crowfield Curse, and Crowfield Demon by Pat Walsh
Higher Institute of Villainous Education - Mark Walden
City of Thieves - Ellen Renner

I've read all of these fairly recently - well worth it!

DiscretionGuaranteed Fri 27-May-11 18:33:20

There are two new Rick Riordan series being released alternately - one is Percy Jackson universe and one isn't exactly. Neither are quite as good as the original PJ books but they're OK.

And Frances Hardinge has just released Twilight Robbery, which is a sequel to Fly By Night (and has nothing to do with Twilight, or vampires).

Toomuchtea Fri 27-May-11 18:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Takver Fri 27-May-11 18:50:04

I was going to say Twilight Robbery smile I think its possibly even better than Fly by Night (I did let dd read it first, honest . . .)

sickofsocalledexperts Fri 27-May-11 19:00:06

My DD is 10 and a big reader - here's what she would add:

The Mysterious Benedict Society-Trenton Lee Stewart
Casson family series-Hilary McKay
Skullduggery Pleasant series-Derek Landy
Inkheart triology-Cornelia Funke
Holes-Louis Sachar

Some of these aren't new, but they're really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now