Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for girl 2.7 who asked for a "funny book"

(44 Posts)
inolikeit Mon 16-May-11 13:50:53

My dd 2.7 loves books and yesterday asked me to read her a "funny" book. I had a look through our fairly vast selection and to my suprise I couldn't see anything that I would class as "funny", except one about Percy the fish's botty bubbles.

She's talking really well and makes little jokes. She loves wordy books like Gruffalo, Paddington and the Beatrix Potter books.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

WhipMeIndiana Mon 16-May-11 13:52:48

there's one on amazon about poo - and a mole I think, you'll have to search the word poo grin
all the julia donaldson ones are wonderful, as ar richard scarry busy books, the animals are v funny

WhipMeIndiana Mon 16-May-11 13:53:18

there's one about a pig in pants too....

WhipMeIndiana Mon 16-May-11 13:53:50

google funny kids books for more

TheVisitor Mon 16-May-11 13:54:33

The little mole who knew it was none of his business. I bought it when my lot were little and gave it to my mum to read it to them for the first time. The hilarious, uncontrollable laughter coming out of their room was brilliant, and that was just my mum. grin

WhipMeIndiana Mon 16-May-11 13:59:02

oh! don't forget Mo willem and the piggy and elephant series . they are v funny.

notnowbernard Mon 16-May-11 14:00:04

NOt Now Bernard grin

trubshawe Mon 16-May-11 16:10:58

Nick Sharratt has some good ones - Pants , Never Use A Knife and Fork, Don't put Your Finger in the Jelly, etc.

GwennieF Mon 16-May-11 16:12:13

Aliens love Underpants - just the word pants makes DS (2.6) laugh.

juneybean Mon 16-May-11 16:13:10

"have you seen my potty?"
"rhino, what rhino?"

thisisyesterday Mon 16-May-11 16:14:07

you need pants

icecoldinalex Wed 25-May-11 19:31:56

The Monkey with a Bright Blue Bottom has been a big favourite in this house.

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 26-May-11 15:29:22

Dr Zuess books hmm if that's the right spelling but can't be bothered to go upstairs to look.... lots of funny rhyming words and messy situations. My son was never keen but my daughter couldn't get enough!

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 26-May-11 15:30:30

Plus you can make lots of books MORE funny by the way you read them... grin

perfectstorm Fri 27-May-11 16:28:00

Big Red Bath, Aliens/Dinosaurs Love Underpants, Walter The Farting Dog, The Little Mole Who Knew It Was None Of His Business, Who's In The Loo... there's a theme here, I notice. blush

perfectstorm Fri 27-May-11 16:28:27

Pants is ace but may be a bit young for her now, I think.

perfectstorm Fri 27-May-11 16:29:01

Oh - Little Mole has a version with sound effects, and DS is crazy about that one!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 27-May-11 16:30:21

The Hairy McClairy series

JumpJockey Fri 27-May-11 16:31:35

Pictures are a bit old fashioned, but Don't forget the bacon is a big hit here, had it when I were a nipper and dd1 (2.6) loves it too.

apprenticemum Fri 27-May-11 16:33:30

My DD hoved Room on the Broom...cant remember the author but it was in rhyme which she loved

DamselInDisguise Fri 27-May-11 16:40:57

DS2 loves the emperor of absurdia which he tells me is fully of funny things. It's quite surreal and the illustrations are beautiful.

He also thinks the kiss that missed is great but I'm not sure he understands the humour properly yet (he's 21 months).

I agree with the Dr Seuss suggestion.

DamselInDisguise Fri 27-May-11 16:42:26

Aliens love underpants cannot be too young for her, my DH thinks it's genuinely hilarious (as does 10 year old DS1).

PollFlanders Fri 27-May-11 16:46:33

Morris the Mankiest Monster. Not very grown up but definitely funny. Also good for making Granny squirm, he hee.

ChristinedePizan Fri 27-May-11 16:51:45

Pants (and More Pants), Room on the Broom and other Donaldson books like the House Being a Squish and a Squeeze (can't remember the exact title), Meg & Mog (definitely not too old for her), Six Dinner Sid off the top of my head.

You could also try her with some Spike Milligan nonsense rhymes for kids - no pictures but my DS loves them.

perfectstorm Fri 27-May-11 21:29:35

No, that isn't - but Pants! probably is! My son loved it, but he's the same age as OP's dd and he is definitely outgrown now. (Different books).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now