Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 9 yesr old ds has discovered a love of reading! Want to kep up momentum, what shall I get him next?

(21 Posts)
DrNortherner Thu 31-Mar-11 10:48:56

For ages, he hated raeding and it was a battle. He now goes off to bed and is devouring books every 3 days or so (Hurrah)

He has recently read:

James and the Giant Peach
BFG
All the Wimpy Kid books
All Captain Underpant Books
All of David Williams books (partic loved Mr Stink)

Any reccommendations?

Thanks.

lostlady Thu 31-Mar-11 10:56:30

My SS found Snotty Bumstead by Hunter Davies funny; also The Witches, another Roald Dahl. We also liked Flush by Carl Hiaasen, tho that's probably more "grown up".

Great to discover reading.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 31-Mar-11 12:11:19

Percy Jackson went down a storm with my 9 YO DD. She also read the young James Bond books (can't remember the name). Roald Dahl's the twits the witches and Matilda were also popular.

prettybird Thu 31-Mar-11 12:24:08

Ds is 10 and also loved the Wimpy Kids and Captain Underpants books.

He is currently enjoying Skulduggery Pleasant. It is a series (I think of 5) and the books are quite long so maybe that will keep your ds occupied for a while!

JaneTX Thu 31-Mar-11 12:39:36

Mr Gum a big fave - it's a series lots of quick funny reads ahead.
Tribe series by TM Alexander, the latest' Labradoodle on the Loose' just out - short chapters and little fact files very appealing to that age group.
Other Roald Dahl's - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory went down well.
Anthony Horrowitz's Groosham Grange is a goodie too.

Happy reading!

Bohica Thu 31-Mar-11 12:44:06

My 9y old has just finished reading Judy blume, fudge & blubber which she really enjoyed.

We are trying Harry Potter next.

ragged Thu 31-Mar-11 16:37:44

Artemis fowl.

zeus123 Thu 31-Mar-11 20:53:43

Lucy Hawkings books

JeffVadar Fri 01-Apr-11 16:45:06

I would definitely give the Hiccup books by Cressida Cowell, also Andy Stanton's Mr Gum series. They are nicely written and very funny.

At 9 my DS adored The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It might also be worth looking at the Artemis Fowl books too.

KarenInglis Wed 27-Apr-11 10:41:47

Hello. I've just put www.eeekthealien.com online to read for free for a month or two. It's very suitable for 9-year-olds and is quite a fun website. It's about an alien who runs away from space to earth because he loves football and the World Cup is on. Seems popular with both boys and girls! Suitable for 8-10/11 yr-olds. Please feel free to share - and I'd welcome any feedback from the kids! Karen

SecretSpi Tue 03-May-11 13:15:07

A book I remember from my childhood that my son enjoyed is Professor Branestawm by Norman Hunter.

Ali Sparkes is an author worth trying - the Shapeshifter series.

DottyDot Tue 03-May-11 13:17:23

Aww - that's lovely. Ds1 (9) has also hated reading up until now and the Wimpy Kid books have got him going as well grin Isn't it AMAZING when you see them actually holding a book and reading it that's not homework?!

sorry, no recommendations as we're still at Wimpy kid stage but I'll watch the thread for inspiration once he's finished those!

ArfurBrain Tue 03-May-11 13:28:14

mine likes Mr Gum books. They also very fu to read aloud!

mckenzie Tue 03-May-11 13:32:59

Ds (also 9) has read most of the ones mentioned here and he has now moved to the Michael Morpurgo books which he is loving.
Depending on your son's nature, be careful of the Percy Jackson series - some of them I'm sure have been responsible for DS's little nightmares.

betterwhenthesunshines Wed 25-May-11 10:47:34

Mine also loved Mr Gum - not too much on each page so easy to tackle too.
Flat Stanley series - also not too long.

queenceleste Wed 25-May-11 10:57:48

my ds turned into a manic reader with the Tangshen Tigers a series about kids at a martial arts academy.

He's now a total Percy Jackson addict plus anything by Rick Riordan,

queenceleste Wed 25-May-11 10:58:39

oh also all the Horrid Henrys as well!

mummytime Wed 25-May-11 11:22:27

Michael Morporgo, some easier than others, all great.

DopeyMum16 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:33:55

My DS was/is more into sport than reading but he got the bug when I found good books about sport. I really recommend the "Glory Gardens" series by Bob Cattell (about a kids cricket team) and the "Foul Play " books by Tom Palmer (football/detective).

yoey Fri 03-Jun-11 23:07:19

My son is now 18 so while I don't know what's current for your 9 year old I'm posting to recommend that in a year or so you could start to explore Orwell, Steinbeck, Hemingway etc, as well as longer novels they all wrote slim volumes which can be more accessible, eg 'The Old Man and the Sea' is a great story as is 'The Red Pony'. Is your son into sci-fi? If so, look to HG Wells and M. Atwood. My son read these books a bit by accident after running out of something to read and looking at the shelves of our 'adult' books. His English teachers encouraged him too and he's taken this love of literature to his choice of degree.

pointissima Tue 07-Jun-11 17:55:44

Michelle Magorian is fabulous. "Goodnight Mr. Tom" is the one everyone knows but my son loved "Just Henry"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now