Talk

Advanced search

Is Warhorse suitable for a 9yo?

(10 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 28-Mar-11 21:47:03

I've heard it's very upsetting - Perhaps I should just read it first myself to find out?

Anyone else read it? Or have your DC read it?

confused

sethstarkaddersmackerel Mon 28-Mar-11 21:48:32

I've read it, yes it is sad but not inappropriate.

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 28-Mar-11 22:46:35

Thanks ssam.

I'll give it a go.

Just a bit fed up with reading books before the DDs do.

I have a list that I'm trying to work throufh for me as well.

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Wed 30-Mar-11 11:49:05

Ds has just read this, he is just 11! he said it was a great book, was sad but not too upsetting!

Idratherbemuckingout Fri 01-Apr-11 17:51:58

Why not try The Midwinter Child - exciting and not sad!

CornishTwinMoominMamma Fri 01-Apr-11 21:24:28

It's a bit 'meh' actually - there are way better Morpurgos. I read it recently because I wanted to see the National Theatre production. It's fine for a nine year old but not particularly gripping.

chr0nic Mon 30-May-11 21:43:01

I thought it was great but really not suitable for a 9 year old. Not only is it terribly sad but there are some rather graphic battle descriptions in it and very explicit details of terrible suffering. I am also not sure that a 9 year old would understand the over-riding theme of the futility of war either. The theatre production is not recommended for kids under 11 I think.

Emzar Mon 30-May-11 23:10:45

I would be happy with a 9 year-old of mine reading it - there are descriptions of battles in it, but it's in no way gory or graphic.

madamehooch Tue 31-May-11 07:32:53

Get them 'Not Bad for a Bad Lad' by Morpurgo instead. No need to read that one first and it's wonderful!

mouseanon Tue 31-May-11 07:36:52

My 7 yr old has read it. Had some very searching questions about war after but wasn't upset by it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: