Talk

Advanced search

10 year old boy, avid reader, running out of ideas!

(45 Posts)

Can anyone please recommend me some authors/titles that I can get for DS1. He has inherited my bookworm gene, and is tearing through books faster than I can get hold of them. He has read all the usual suspects (Harry Potter's, Percy Jackson's, Anthony Horowitz's various, some classics although not overly impressed with them). If anyone can point me in a new direction, I'd be super grateful <bats eyelashes>

StayFrosty Thu 17-Feb-11 20:40:31

David almond? He wrote skellig and kit's wilderness, both of which i like. Philip pullman? Louis sachar (holes)? Betsy byars?

smugmumofboys Thu 17-Feb-11 20:43:00

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver? DS1 is 8 and I read them with him. They are great stories.

AutumnWitch Thu 17-Feb-11 20:45:32

The Hobbit, then Lord of the Rings? I was about 11 when I read them.
Dr Who, A Wizard of Earthsea, Alan Garners books, classic sci-fi like John Wyndham?

Maybe head for a library and corner the librarian?

exexpat Thu 17-Feb-11 20:46:14

Louis Sachar (Holes etc) and Alex Shearer are the ones I always end up recommending - less well known than Anthony Horowitz etc but appeal to the same sort of age range.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! <snogs everyone>

bumbums Thu 17-Feb-11 20:48:05

Charlotte's Web? Good night Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian. Raul Dahl's books?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 17-Feb-11 20:49:35

How about the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper?

Snorbs Thu 17-Feb-11 20:51:43

Try the Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. The first one is called "Magyk". They're good and thick grin

You could also try "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett. It's part of a series of his books written for children.

omaoma Thu 17-Feb-11 20:51:54

was about to suggest that myself WDBSA!

There are loads of Alan Garner novels, never got into them myself but wasn't a 10 year old boy, that might help

I LOVED Reader's Digest's silly spooky books about 'unsolved mysteries' and ghosts .

but i should just let him loose in a library to pick up anything he fancies.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 17-Feb-11 20:55:02

Oooh Alan Garner, yes yes yes yes! Weirdstone of Brisingamen, Elidor, Owl Service (that last is particularly deliciously scary, and I thoroughly recommend it).

Snorbs Thu 17-Feb-11 20:55:29

Ooh, some more - my DS went through a phase of reading all the Horrible History books when he was about 10. He also liked the Jiggy McCue books by Michael Lawrence. Finlly, I'd recommend the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer.

MooMooFarm Thu 17-Feb-11 20:57:33

The 'Young James Bond' series of books by Charlie Higson?

My DS loves those.

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 17-Feb-11 20:58:31

Redwall books by Brian Jacques? They may be about animals, but they're fairly warlike little animals...

AutumnWitch Thu 17-Feb-11 20:59:16

The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy grin

NormanTheForeman Thu 17-Feb-11 21:01:46

I would recommend a lot of these, also some good survival type books (fiction but with survival hints etc) by Bear Grylls, and the Truckers series by Terry Pratchett.

And the C S Lewis Narnia books if he's into that sort of thing.

Also, is he into football/cricket etc? There are some good fiction books (more for football than cricket) around. I can give you some authors' names if he's interested.

Othersideofthechannel Thu 17-Feb-11 21:02:01

These are a bit dated but I'll suggest anyway

'The Runaways' and 'Flight of the Grey Goose' by Victor Canning

'Hardy Boys'

AutumnWitch Thu 17-Feb-11 21:05:27

Neil Gaiman - The graveyard book, maybe Neverwhere.

pinkthechaffinch Thu 17-Feb-11 21:20:39

'My side of the Mountain' by Jean Craighead George

Written in the late 1950s (?) it's about a young boy who runs away from his overcrowded home in the city to the Catskill mountains where he makes a home for himself inside a tree and fends for himself with lots of Ray Mears style survival tips!

It's really good, am reading it 9 year old ds at the moment.

FattyArbuckel Thu 17-Feb-11 21:37:31

Un Lun Dun by China Melville
I have bough this book for many book worms who all adored it

FattyArbuckel Thu 17-Feb-11 21:39:21

Also recommend David Walliams books and Malorie Blackman eg Pig Heart Boy

Hummingbird2 Thu 17-Feb-11 23:07:06

The Ranger's Apprentice series seems to be very popular at the moment with boys of this age.

defineme Thu 17-Feb-11 23:10:07

Eagle of the ninth - rosemary sutcliffe?

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Thu 17-Feb-11 23:14:12

Actually anything by Rosemary Sutcliffe. The King Arthur ones are good.

madamehooch Fri 18-Feb-11 08:14:40

'Skulduggery Pleasant', 'His Dark Materials', 'Reckless' by Cornelia Funke, 'Artemis Fowl'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now