Talk

Advanced search

Trivial question - when reading aloud Where the Wild Things Are...

(21 Posts)
teamnomistake Sat 08-Jan-11 13:58:11

...what do you do during the Wild Rumpus pages?

I do a kind of commentary, eg "so, they were jumping up and down" etc and my husband kind of hums a tune and jiggles the book around.

I'm just interested in what others do.(Probably over thinking as DS1 aged 2 LOVES the book and I've read it 4 billion times)

Campaspe Sat 08-Jan-11 19:12:02

We just toalk about the picture a bit. I tend to explain that they were having a wild party. It's great how this book works on several levels, isn't it?

crispface Sun 09-Jan-11 21:52:48

I shout a loud tune and wave the book around as if the creatures were stamping and dancing

Meglet Sun 09-Jan-11 21:54:13

We talk about the pictures.

I love crispfaces idea, will remember that next time!

BeerTricksPotter Sun 09-Jan-11 22:00:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CDMforever Tue 11-Jan-11 20:40:25

I usually sing a silly song or make quite silly song noises.

CDMforever Tue 11-Jan-11 20:41:09

Quiet not quite hmm

deaconblue Mon 17-Jan-11 09:42:52

I say "oh look, they are marching, they are dancing, they are swinging from the trees" but I always feel I haven't made the most of it

falsemessageoflethargy Mon 17-Jan-11 09:44:54

I sort of sing, 'do-do-do-do-do-do-doooo' whilst doing the Ingerland footie dance x4.

And then move on.

ZacharyQuack Mon 17-Jan-11 09:52:30

We sing "Wild Thing, You make my heart sign"

It can go on for some time.

You make everything groooooovy.....

figcake Mon 17-Jan-11 09:54:47

do a tune and make the book march up and down blush

pozzled Mon 17-Jan-11 09:57:02

I just talk about what is happening in the pictures.

But I'm glad you started this thread, I will try to branch out a bit... Especially like the idea of singing 'Wild Thing'!

hmmSleep Mon 17-Jan-11 09:58:35

I do a sort of tribal type dance whilst pretending to bang drums and sing a chanting type song hmm.

knit1purl1 Mon 17-Jan-11 10:19:14

We go, as per pictures:

"Dancing by the light of the moon"
then
"Swinging through the trees" (howling sound)
followed by
"Romping & stomping through the jungle ROARING and RAGING" (roaring)

Every time, it is very formulaic. No desire here to encourage them to be imaginative - if they start making up more stuff I, for one, am going to live in a bookless hole with a grumpy troll.

There was a temptation to say "in the moonlight" for the first bit but I had an unexpectedly Pavlovian sweary reaction due to the Naked Chef...

yousankmybattleship Mon 17-Jan-11 10:24:36

You lot of much more imaginative than me. I just make up a few words and we pick our favourite monsters.

Great book - so lovely to read aloud.

jjuice Mon 17-Jan-11 10:24:44

ah...well as the rest of the book has always been acted out....the rolling of the eyes etc it would be a shame to waste 6 pages of dancing around the room roaring rarring singing and dancing.....

my kids are now 10 and 13...but we still Gnash our terrible teeth...

fruitstick Mon 17-Jan-11 10:30:06

We talk about our favourite creatures and why we like them.

DS also does a wonderful action for 'rolled their terrible eyes etc'

BonzoDooDah Mon 17-Jan-11 10:34:45

Brilliant question!

I dance the book about like it is rumpusing! grin

DD then points out that one of the monsters looks like mummy hmm (the long haired gingery one if you must know) hmm At which point DH, if in earshot, wets himself laughing hmm

I retaliate by asking which one is daddy - the big curly haired one - and then we have to name all the other Wild Things as family members. Then we can safely continue reading the book without looking at the words (as everyone in my entire family knows the book by heart).

mummytime Mon 17-Jan-11 11:14:02

My kids always found this book too scarey!

anonymosity Sat 29-Jan-11 01:09:34

Agree. I say

"and they danced, by the light of the moon"
"and they swung, in the trees"
"and they marched through the forest / jungle"

love that book.

sodthehousework Mon 13-Jun-11 13:00:09

my husband says "ooga chugga" over and over like some kind of rain dance whereas I just get my DS to point out Max and other things in the pictures!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: