Talk

Advanced search

Books for a Wimpy Kid lover

(12 Posts)
Himalaya Thu 16-Dec-10 22:40:58

What next for an 11 year old Diary of a Wimpy Kid lover?

cornyPrawnsdefrostJasonDonovan Thu 16-Dec-10 22:44:50

jiggy Mc Cue? My ds loves them and was also a Wimpey kid fan

onimolap Thu 16-Dec-10 22:58:01

There's a "Diary of a Wimpy Vampire" which might appeal.

I can't think of anything off hand which is a direct spin off. My DS loved the Wimpy Kid books: currently reading the Percy Jackson series, also recently read the "How to train your Dragon" books, and likes Anthony Horowitz (Alex Rider and Diamond Detective Agency series).

madamehooch Fri 17-Dec-10 16:04:28

Try 'Big Nate'. Similar diary style format with an endorsement from Jeff Kinney. You could also try The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole.

Himalaya Fri 17-Dec-10 16:21:18

Thanks will try these...have been reading How to Train Your Dragon Series with DS2 (7). I.Can't.Stand.It.

Will try Big Nate and Jiggy McCue.

Its all depressingly pants-and-toilets or vampires-and-fantasy in kids fiction shelves.

exexpat Fri 17-Dec-10 16:27:35

Louis Sachar - Holes & the sequel, Small Steps; There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom, Dogs Don't Tell Jokes; Someday Angeline etc. He's really good. The Wayside School ones are also good but aimed at younger kids, as is the Marvin Redpost series.

onimolap Fri 17-Dec-10 16:31:24

With "Just William" about to be on the telly, you could try those books?

madamehooch Sat 18-Dec-10 07:43:22

Himayalaya - have to disagree with you - there are some fab books on the shelves for children now. I think you have to look at what he liked best about the Wimpy Kid books - the fact that they are humorous, or whether he finds them easy to read because of the font size etc or whether he likes reading about real life.

World War II is always a popular topic for children of that age because they study it in Year 6. You could try him on something like 'The Machine Gunners' - WWII but with relevance to modern day. If he likes action/real life then Anthony Horowitz's Stormbreaker series is a good read plus the font size and spacing makes it slightly easier on the eye.

I agree with onimolap and exexpat - Percy Jackson (full of dialogue and action) and Louis Sachar (real life) are great. You could also try 'Cosmic' by Frank Cottrell Boyce - very, very funny.

Himalaya Sat 18-Dec-10 21:56:18

Thanks Madamhooch. I do agree with you really, just feeling a bit depressed at my son being uninspired by I suppose.

He has read all the Louis Sacher books which I think are great, and Cosmic (or rather I think hr had it read to him a bit back). So yes you are right there are good books out there..

Yes it's real life and humour he likes at the moment.

He refuses to read anything where he has already seen the film (...what for, innit?)

He has read the more action, spy books books etc... But Diary of a Wimpy kid is the only book he has ever really raved about.

exexpat Sat 18-Dec-10 22:12:43

Has he tried anything by Alex Shearer? Tins, Bootleg, Landlubbers - my DS enjoyed all of those at a similar time to the Louis Sachar ones, they are real life comedy/adventure, I think. He's also done some slightly older ones like The Speed of the Dark and the Great Blue Yonder which would be good for an 11-year-old but are more serious.

Or some of the Morris Gleitzman ones?

nooka Mon 20-Dec-10 07:08:29

Artemis Fowl? the Warriors series? My ds is also a Wimpy Kid fan and those are his other two read around and around again series.

Himalaya Mon 20-Dec-10 23:02:53

Thanks all, off to the bookshop tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: