Talk

Advanced search

Looking for titles about children's literature really

(7 Posts)
SuePurblybiltByElves Mon 06-Dec-10 22:50:11

Victorian mostly. I'm pondering an essay on childhood in literature, probably focussing on the kick-off so early Victorian onwards.

Bumbling around Dickens, Lewis Carroll, the Water Babies, Peter Pan, some of the Romantic poets, Anna Sewell.

I know there are some fellow Mnetters who are tragically avid readers of children's fiction (like me), some of whom have very clever qualifications relating to same grin. If anyone has any suggestions for further reading - either other key texts or books about, point me in the right direction?

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 07-Dec-10 11:48:48

Are you doing the OU Children's Literature course? If not, there are people on here who have, you could shout them on the student parents board.
If you don't know the Victorian Web already, there are some good articles on children's literature on it.

AvengingGerbil Tue 07-Dec-10 11:56:12

Try looking up Kimberley Reynolds' stuff on amazon - she's prof of Children's Lit at Newcastle and has written a bunch.

chicaguapa Tue 07-Dec-10 12:02:20

I'm doing the OU Children's Lit course. We have just done an essay on social control in 19th Century children's lit looking at Treasure Island and Little Women, the former being about imperialistic attitudes in the UK and the latter the role of females during the American Civil war. Is that the kind of thing you were thinking of?

jeee Tue 07-Dec-10 12:02:30

I recently read a book called 'You're a brick, Angela', but can't remember the author. It focussed on books for girls, largely from the first half of the twentieth century, but did look at Victorian literature. Unfortunately I don't remember the author.

It's worth a read in any event - I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I was slightly blush about the amount of girl's school stories I've read.

SuePurblybiltByElves Tue 07-Dec-10 16:53:30

Thank you all
No, not OU (but that looks an interesting module). It's that kind of thing, how literature of the time reflected changing attitudes to children and childhood. Childhood as a social construction really.

AvengingGerbil Tue 07-Dec-10 20:26:34

If you want some context, Mary Abbott, Family Ties 1540-1920 has some good historical stuff on the construction of childhood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now