Talk

Advanced search

Magazines

(13 Posts)
crazygracieuk Tue 30-Nov-10 21:59:39

I hope that this is the right forum but I'd love to know which magazines your children read as I could do with recommendations.

I have 9 and 4 year old boys and a 7 year old daughter.

Thanks

mycomment Tue 30-Nov-10 22:02:04

Aquila - 9 year old ds loves it (so do I)

pippibluestocking Tue 30-Nov-10 22:07:14

NG KIds - a bit trashy but does have some good geographical / ecological info in it and DD aged 8 seems to enjoy it

exexpat Tue 30-Nov-10 22:08:33

First News - good for the 7 and 9 year old. Our subscription was initially for DS, who is now too old for it at 12, but DD (8) has been reading it for the last year or so.

Also Puffin Post - two editions for different ages, expensive, but they can choose a free book with every edition.

Also Animal Action (DD is into animals). And whatever she spots at the newsagent that has plastic crap on the front looks interesting.

But probably the most-read thing that comes through the post for DD is the Lego catalogue - you can sign up for the Lego club online and there is a 'magazine' (ie promotional stuff) and a catalogue every few months.

roisin Tue 30-Nov-10 22:08:43

My boys liked Aquila for a long time (age say 7+).
They have enjoyed First News for many years, but are growing out of it now (aged 11 and 13).

They didn't like National Geographic or NG Kids.

They both enjoy Focus Magazine immensely (from the age of 9 or 10).

ds2 gets BBC Wildlife magazine, which he enjoys. He also likes the RSPB kids magazine that he gets.

exexpat Tue 30-Nov-10 22:11:21

DS used to get Aquila, but it is a bit on the 'worthy' side. Depends whether you're looking for something fun or educational. Oh, and DD has just discovered the Jacqueline Wilson magazine, so if your DD is into her books, that might be of interest.

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 22:12:05

DS1(8):
Match
Bird Life (RSPB)

DS2 (6):
Wild Times (RSPB)
Puffin Post

DD (4):
Wild Times
I love Ponies

domesticsluttery Tue 30-Nov-10 22:12:51

Oh yes, I forgot the boys get the Lego magazine free too.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 30-Nov-10 22:15:11

Ds1 (4yo) loves the free Lego magazine. Reads it and does all the puzzles etc over and Over again until it falls apart.

singersgirl Tue 30-Nov-10 23:06:21

We tried Aquila but mine found it a bit worthy too - DS2 was a bit young for it, but it didn't interest DS1. Mine are 12 and 9 now,

Our top tips:
First News (DS2 still likes it)
NG Kids (again, DS2 has liked this for a couple of years)
The Beano (you can't beat it for boy appeal)
The Simpsons (which is actually pretty good value and quite funny)

crazygracieuk Wed 01-Dec-10 13:51:22

Thank you for the suggestions.
I haven't heard of some of the titles like Aquila.

We get the Lego one already but will definitely be giving some of the others a go.

exexpat Wed 01-Dec-10 13:56:58

That's probably because you can't get Aquila in the shops - it's subscription-only, but they might send you a couple of free 'test copies' if you contact them via the website.

lovecheese Wed 01-Dec-10 14:29:26

Seconding First News here, really good, DDs aged 9 and 6 fight over it...actually, me and DH join in the tussle for it too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now