Talk

Advanced search

Jacqueline Wilson - which ones?

(7 Posts)
pugsandseals Tue 16-Nov-10 14:29:35

DD (age 8) has just read and enjoyed the werepuppy. I'm normally pretty good at this sort of thing, but Jacqueline's books seem such a mine field and DD is quite emotionally young for her age.

Please come and tell me which others she will enjoy (and are appropriate)! The age 9-12 section in the bookshop worries me...

TIA

lljkk Tue 16-Nov-10 14:38:14

I have read a lot of them with DD.
If you feel your DD is young for age then I tend to think she's not old enough for most of them, lol.
I review them with DD -- my reviews are about the maturity of the content (link).

I suspect the most important thing whenever she takes the plunge is for you to discuss them with her. Of all the books she's read so far DD was most upset by one of the first she read, The Cat Mummy, because that features the mother dying and that's DD's worst fear (me dying). Missing/dead mum is a common theme in JW books and I actually think reading lots of books with that aspect has been good for helping desensitise DD to that fear and make it manageable.

pugsandseals Tue 16-Nov-10 14:45:18

OMG -
I was expecting to need to be wary of sex/relationships storylines not death of parents! DD would be absolutely freaked, thanks for the warning. Will read your reviews, thank you. But you may have just put me off altogether!

dizzymac Tue 16-Nov-10 15:00:33

My DD loved Hetty Feather. Its very different to her other books and set in the past which makes any issues less stressful, I think. DD hasn't read any of her other books as I'm not keen on a lot of the topics ( I'm a bit old fashioned that way). I feel there's enough misery in this world without adding to it with children's fiction. I do see IIjkk's point though smile

lljkk Tue 16-Nov-10 17:41:47

The death of the mother is not active in The Cat Mummy, it's not that full on. It's simply a fact in the girl's life that she never knew her mother and (big part of the plot) nobody in the family will help her know what her mother was like.

It's quite an amusing read, really. Most of JW is like that, it doesn't take on the worst things head on. I honestly think most 8yos will have encountered far heavier stuff from Disney/Neighbours/East Enders/Corrie/Episode 3 of Star Wars/Fairy Tales (eg., the Big Bad Wolf tries to Eat Red Riding Hood, Cinderella's mother is long dead while her stepmother is abusive, and as for Snow White's step-mother or the fate of Bambi's mother...). But in the end they're still big issues.

madamehooch Tue 16-Nov-10 20:37:16

Sleepovers and Best Friends are the best ones for younger readers. No matrimonial break downs, no deaths!

lovecheese Wed 17-Nov-10 14:54:15

Seconding madamehooch's ideas. DD aged 6 also enjoyed Best riends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now