Talk

Advanced search

Farming

(3 Posts)
loosinas Tue 09-Nov-10 13:23:51

my son is very interested in farm machinery and this love extends to his choice of books.... i'm wondering if anyone can recommend any good... probably non-fiction.... books about farming and farm machinery... we have the tractor ted series which have been great but i think he's ready for something more
many many thanks !

RuthChan Tue 09-Nov-10 19:47:25

Do you know the Farmyard Tales by Heather Amery and Stephen Cartwright?
They're not just about machinery, but about life on the farm, telling it through the adventures of a farming family.
My two DCs love the book.

Takver Tue 09-Nov-10 22:25:03

Don't know how old he is, but Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder is excellent - a year in the life of her husband when he was a boy growing up on a farm. Its goes through all the different things he did on the farm through the seasons from his 9th birthday to his 10th - dd is age 8 and loved it (she has grown up on a farm) but I think it would also be fine to read to a younger child, may be from 6 or so. Beware that there is one rather upsetting scene in the first couple of chapters, you might want to read in advance so you can skip if your son is younger/more sensitive - the rest is all totally harmless and about things like sowing the wheat!

Completely different, but DD's friend (also 8) who is tractor and farm machinery mad loved this book. It is really a text book for agriculture students, but it has pictures of all the different types of farm machinery, with explanations of how they work. There's also a very good section on workshop tools at the back explaining how to use each tool, which I think would appeal to any child interested in farming, machinery etc.

This sort of dvd is really aimed at adult tractor enthusiasts but also goes down well IME with small children who are overly fond of machinery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: