Talk

Advanced search

picture books for almost 9 year old

(24 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Sat 06-Nov-10 18:48:25

might be tricky this...any suggestions ?

Goblinchild Sat 06-Nov-10 18:51:58

We use a lot of fantastic picture books in school, right through to Y6.
So what were you thinking of?

ragged Sat 06-Nov-10 18:53:46

Girl or boy, for you to read with them or on their own (do they need confidence boosting)?

FranSanDisco Sat 06-Nov-10 18:57:46

The Lion and the Unicorn is a book aimed at 9 yo I believe but has lovely illustrations. It's about an evacuee during WWII.

roisin Sat 06-Nov-10 19:08:19

What sort of books is she interested in? There are actually loads of picture books out there for older children.

For example look at things illustrated by Michael Foreman (often Michael Morpurgo books).

roisin Sat 06-Nov-10 19:09:50

These books by Marcia Williams are simple comic-strip style adaptations of classic books. and this is a fantastic offer from the Book People 8 books for £9.

roisin Sat 06-Nov-10 19:12:26

Lots of older childrens/young teenage books have graphic novel versions these days as well, which a 9 yr-old might enjoy. eg Artemis Fowl or Stormbreaker.

roisin Sat 06-Nov-10 19:16:27

The current children's laureate is an author and illustrator, Anthony Browne. He's passionate about the role of picture books for older children and adults as well as toddlers.

I don't know his books well personally, but some of them may be appropriate.

Our library always has loads of books which are very suitable for 9 yr-olds and older children.

Where the wild things are is brilliant for all ages.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 06-Nov-10 19:40:29

It's for my cousin's grand daughter in Canada -
Am not keen on Anthony Brown
Yes, graphic novels might be an idea... her grandma says that she won't mind books aimed at younger children

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 06-Nov-10 19:41:21

how are you btw roisin - seems ages since the yr 7 thread !!

roisin Sat 06-Nov-10 19:49:42

[Quick Hijack: I'm good MAS! ds1 is so busy these days - he's on a film-making project at the moment. It takes up almost all of his holiday time and weekends, but he's really enjoying it. Today he was on his feet for 7 hrs as it was the first day's shooting, so he's shattered!

Options soon - should we have yr9 thread?!]

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 06-Nov-10 19:59:02

yes,good idea- so sorry-have been tied up on the tamoxifen thread and neglected yr 7s ! Lovely to hear about your ds grin Mine is doing ok - he has just auditioned for a place in the choir going on a New York tour- fingers crossed that he gets in !

Takver Sat 06-Nov-10 21:01:55

Does the text have to be simple? If not, what about Asterix?

Goblinchild Sat 06-Nov-10 21:03:48

Father Christmas
The Puddleman
both by Raymond Briggs
Meerkat Mail
The Rabbit problem
both by Emily Gavette
The Wolves in the Walls
Crazy hair
by Neil Gaiman
How to live forever by Colin Thompson
The Magic Paintbrush by Julia Donaldson
The Flower by John Light
All of the Winnie The Witch books by Korky Paul
This company does a lot of graphic non fiction, particularly the 'You wouldn't want to be...' and 'Avoid being...
www.salariya.com/znew/freewebbooks.html
There are hundreds more, it depends what her interests are,and her reading ability/maturity level.

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 06-Nov-10 22:49:23

thanks very much...will investigate these..

SkippyjonJones Sun 07-Nov-10 14:39:40

This one is beautiful

www.amazon.co.uk/Cloud-Tea-Monkeys-Mal-Peet/dp/140 6300926/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289140740& sr=1-1

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 07-Nov-10 16:12:47

thanks skippy- the Oliver Jeffers books look v lovely too...

MrsMagnolia Mon 08-Nov-10 20:03:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 08-Nov-10 22:22:10

thank you !

MadamDeathstare Mon 08-Nov-10 22:23:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pointydog Mon 08-Nov-10 22:34:56

Why are you thinking of picture books? Does she particularly like illsutrations, prefer simple text, like the genre?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 09-Nov-10 07:25:22

hello - I've no idea what she likes - have never met her -but her grandma asked if I could pick some - I've made a small selection and sent the Amazon bits to her- many thanks for all your imput..it's made me think of getting Art Spiegleman's Maus for ds (13) - I read it years ago

timetomove Wed 10-Nov-10 12:52:25

Have a look at the Ottoline books. They have loads of beautiful illustrations (more illustrations than text), and the text would be quite suitable for that age group.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Nov-10 15:14:43

will do !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: