Talk

Advanced search

death of a beloved dog

(7 Posts)
pashminamum Thu 04-Nov-10 14:39:28

My 2 year old ds was devoted to our jack russell terrier who died at the grand old age of 15. Does anyone know of boosk that will help with bereavement of a pet? Also grateful for recommendations of any books for parents to explain death to toddlers. Thank you

DandyDan Thu 04-Nov-10 16:12:40

Yes, Harry & Hopper, which I think doesn't have words (or very few) - just pictures. It won the Kate Greenaway prize this year for illustration and text. It is by Margaret Wild and Freya Blackwood. It is about a boy who grows up with a dog, and then the dog dies, and he still sees it for a while but gradually it fades away and he is okay with that in the end.

Badger's Parting Gift is a well-known one too.

For older children (not a 2 yr old), The Velveteen Rabbit is well done (but has an implication of an afterlife - not everyone will want that necessarily). There's another one about water beetles, I think.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 04-Nov-10 16:18:33

I was going to mention Badger's Parting gift. That is also good if you're anticipating the death of a beloved elderly relative - around the time of DDs great uncle's demise, when she was 3, she asked for it repeatedly.

The last in the Mog series too - can't think what its called offhand.

DandyDan Thu 04-Nov-10 19:18:03

Is it "Goodbye Mog"?

GrimmaTheNome Thu 04-Nov-10 19:19:28

That's the one.

Its a bugger to read aloud though, make sure you've tissues handy! Same goes for the Velveteen Rabbit.

applestrudel Sun 07-Nov-10 21:22:47

Scrumpy by Elizabeth Dale is about the death of a beloved dog - suitable for a two year old.

pashminamum Tue 09-Nov-10 10:30:18

Thank you so much. I have ordered them all on Amazon; I also put some photos together and created a little photo book for him which seems to have helped. Ofcourse it took us 4 days to be able to read it without tears!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now