Talk

Advanced search

Books for an eight year old DS

(22 Posts)
mummytojacob Mon 18-Oct-10 20:37:20

Hi

I have a very bright nearly nine year old DS, with a reading age of about 12. It's very difficult to find books that are a challenge to him, but still appropriate. Things like the young James Bond and Alex Rider are pushing it, content wise. He loves fantasy books!

Any suggestions gratefully received (especially with Christmas coming up!)

MyDearGirl Mon 18-Oct-10 21:07:49

Has he read the Narnia books? Also Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer was a hit with my son as were the Series of Unfortunate Events collection.

cory Mon 18-Oct-10 21:53:18

Older/semi-modern classics: Five Children and It, The Amulet, THe Borrowers, Professor Branestawm, Paddington Bear, Jennings, Bedknob and Broomstick.

Takver Tue 19-Oct-10 13:07:17

I have an 8 y/o dd - things she likes include

Loads of Diana Wynne Jones fantasy novels (Chrestomanci series particularly) - main characters are mostly boys if your ds is fussy about such things

Lionboy trilogy by Zizou Corder (she read them a while back, but I'm sure would still like them now) - adventure about a boy who can talk to cats/lions with a near-future setting

Just William books (dated but still funny it seems)

All the Horrible History/Geography/Science books (if he hasn't read them already)

What about The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper (dd hasn't read these as I only have the later ones in the series & have been meaning to get her the earlier books, but I would think fine for an 8 y/o)

DD likes the Wolves of Willoughby chase books, but the early books have mainly female leads, and possibly a bit 'girly' depending on taste (orphans in boarding school etc)

sure there are more, will think

Takver Tue 19-Oct-10 16:28:55

Just remembered the Molly Moon books - adventure/ fantasy

cazzybabs Thu 21-Oct-10 12:43:41

Michael Morpurgo books - lots about wars but done in a nice way

Mr Gum books

Some non fiction... just bought a great book called "how to make a universe from 92 ingredients" all about the periodic table

some of the Philip Pullman books

Swallows and amzaons

(don't forget there is no such thing as a book that is too easy)

haggis01 Thu 21-Oct-10 13:08:16

I second Diana Wynne Jones - especially Chrestomanci, Howls moving castle, a Tale of time city and Dogsbody
Percy jackson series
Charlie Bone Series
The wind singer trilogy
Wolf brother chronicles - michelle paver
Tripods series of books

My DD liked all the above at around age 8/9 but with very advanced reading. My 8 year old son currently likes The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books (he reads just above age)they are easy to read but he finds them funny. He is also enjoying Greek myths and curiously a complete Grimm Fairy Tales book!

AreYouAFreudOfTheDark Thu 21-Oct-10 13:13:34

Is he only wanting fiction books? There are some amazing fact books on sites like thebookpeople, especially science ones.

AreYouAFreudOfTheDark Thu 21-Oct-10 13:16:14

Ooh haggis you've reminded me - I keep meaning to search for a book of Czech/bohemian fairy tales like the one I had as a child. It was so much cooler than the Grimm stuff - positively gruesome in parts grin

KeithTalent Thu 21-Oct-10 13:23:21

Alan Garner

Andrew Norriss

Cornelia Funke

Goodreads Fri 22-Oct-10 11:00:47

Try award winning Born to Dance and its sequel, Safe for Life. Modern fantasies concerning a mega-talented horse and his friends, and their struggle to stay free.

Try William Horwood's books - recent follow ons from Wind in the Willows.

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:09:51

This is brilliant

www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Future-King-T-White/dp/00064 83011

Takver Fri 22-Oct-10 11:45:38

Alan Garner only if he is robust and not prone to nightmares, though grin

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:47:07

The Box of Delights is a nice one for christmas.

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:48:38

The Wee Free Men series

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:50:29

The Children of Green Knowe

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:51:21

Fever Crumb The Other Mortal Engines books are too grown up. Check this one out before as well if he is sensative. Excellent in a year or two though.

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:51:58

The Pahntom Tollbooth

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:52:40

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen

SkippyjonJones Fri 22-Oct-10 11:53:36

Brendon Chase

mummytojacob Sat 23-Oct-10 20:20:55

Thank you for all your suggestions! Lots of good suggestions here, and only some he's read. Good inspiration for Christmas!

thanks, folks.

pottonista Mon 08-Nov-10 11:05:33

Ooh, I just started a thread looking for books for my 8-year-old nephew. Should have looked down the list a bit! blush

<scurries off to read suggestions on this thread>

FWIW my brother and I were riveted by Susan Cooper (Dark Is Rising) and Alan Garner at that age. I've reread them as adults, and they're still ace.

Thank you for suggestions - I think The Dark Is Rising may be just the thing for my DN this christmas. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now