Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

why did i decide to go back to work

(5 Posts)
lucy01 Thu 18-Aug-05 13:18:10

Rather a long rant I'm afraid....

4 staff at nursery have been sacked (2 from youngest dd's room and 1 from eldest dd's room) for (well the rumour is) either alcohol or drugs.

Nanny due to start in 3 weeks has just quit (broken up with boyfriend so moving away).

Eldest due to start afternoon nursery school in september so need a driver 4 afternoons to do pick up and drop-offs. Was virtually impossible to get in the first place, now have to do it all over again.

Just want to find a large pile of sand and bury my head in it (permanently!!!) Too tired/exasperated to cry

Does anyone know of a good temporary nanny agency in north london. Alternatively could i have a mother's help to do the afternoon school runs and leave the youngest in nursery all day?

bossykate Thu 18-Aug-05 13:20:52

how much time do you have for sifting through the dross? if you have the chance to do this, i would recommend www.gumtree.com. it costs £19.95 to place an ad - i've had lots of responses from there - many awful i should point out - but also some good ones, including the one i hope i am about to hire (after school and holidays). you get responses pretty much immediately ime.

hth.

Issymum Thu 18-Aug-05 13:28:34

Lucy, if you want to throw money at the problem you could put a second ad on Gumtree in the teaching section. You may well find a primary school teacher there who is happy to nanny on a temporary basis before term begins or, as a number of Antipodeans do supply teaching, even longer than that. Teachers will come complete with references, police checks and a working knowledge of the English language.

bossykate Thu 18-Aug-05 13:54:29

great idea, issymum. my two best candidates worked in school/pre school. btw - £40 is surely not "throwing money" - compared to agency fees?

Issymum Thu 18-Aug-05 17:16:10

No, I agree it's a very modest sum compared to agency fees. Our superstar nanny is returning to NZ in late October and we've recently recruited her replacement - an early years NZ primary school teacher who, touch wood, seems excellent.

Could we keep this thread just between the two of us as I thought it was a rather inspired idea to use the teaching section of gumtree and I don't want all the other Mnetters crowding the market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now