Talk

Advanced search

Agency or go it alone to find a nanny?

(8 Posts)
magbags Tue 29-Jun-10 19:47:58

Hi, I am trying to figure out whether to go with an agency or advertise privately got a part time nanny. I am told I can only use my childcare vouchers if I go through an Ofsted (Scotland) registered agency. Is this true? Also does anyone know how much these vouchers actually save a family spending £800pm? I am leaning towards agency for extra security checks. Can anyone help me figure out any other pros and cons of each scenario please?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
Missus84 Tue 29-Jun-10 20:18:16

I'm not sure about how things differ in Scotland tbh, but certainly in England if a nanny is Ofsted registered (as I am) Ofsted will have done a CRB check, so there's nothing extra an agency will do.

Even if you go through an agency, it is sensible to check a nanny's references verbally yourself, rather than just rely on the agency - so there's nothing really they do that you can't. Ditto seeing the nanny's certificates (qualifications, first aid, Ofsted, CRB) yourself rather than rely on the agency to do it.

I can see using an agency is an advantage if the initial advertising and sifting through responses/CVs is too time consuming or daunting for you. However, agencies are likely to advertise the position in the same places you could - gumtree, nannyjob - so no reason you can't do it yourself.

nannynick Tue 29-Jun-10 23:00:19

In Scotland you have to go through an agency if you wish to have a Registered Nanny who can accept childcare vouchers. Find a Care Service

Using Childcare Vouchers could, if both you and your partner can get them, save you around £900 each per year. It depends on several factors, so use a Estimator to get a more realistic figure for your circumstances. Salary sacrifice amount is max of £243 per month.

Looking at West of Scotland Nanny Agency website (which I have just randomly picked from the list that came up on a Google search and it happens to list Fees clearly) an agency would charge £360 (£40 initial registration, £320 placement fee) and there is a £200 Childcare Vouchers fee (not clear if that's on top or not and if that's annual or a one off).

So if both you and your partner can get the full £243 of salary sacrifice each month as Childcare Voucher, then you would be saving around £1800 per year in NI/Tax payments on your own salaries which is a lot more than the agency fee.

Salary sacrifice schemes can affect things like a pension, work related bonuses. HMRC: Salary Sacrifice Q&A - Accor: Salary Sacrifice Guide

magbags Wed 30-Jun-10 19:31:41

Brilliant, thank you both for your help. X

OP’s posts: |
Strix Thu 01-Jul-10 09:16:17

How outrageous. You can only use childcare vouchers in Scotland if you fork out for agency fees. Blimey, that's sounds dodgy. Wonder if the agencies are paying the government? hmm

sunshinenanny Fri 02-Jul-10 11:22:14

Probably! The whole cost of registration in the UK is a con.

Beware Agencies that just send you endless CVS and don't make any attemp to match the nanny to the family.

I have just found a lovely job through a really well run agency called Tigerlily.grin But I've Found many of the agencies to be useless and run by people who are totally up themselves

earlston1 Thu 02-May-19 13:34:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-May-19 14:28:47

An agency can give you both support

If you have the money I would say use an agency

If you have time then advertise yourself and see what happens s

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in