Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny/ housekeeper

(15 Posts)
BearBear1981 Wed 16-Jun-10 18:24:53

I have a housekeeper already but need someone alternative who can be both nanny and housekeeper, pref live out. Anyone got any advice??

I need help 4 to 5.5 days a week including sometimes weekends, have 16 month old DD and am due in november with number 2.

I want someone who can work alongside me but I am competitive sportswoman too so am busy in mornings training plus competing/ training away from home 4-5 times a month.

I want someone who can look after kids when I'm not there, experienced nanny style qualifications then does housework when I am there or am away with kids.

Does this kind of person exist!!!???

Does anyone have any advice? Really want someone in place before bambino 2 arrives!!!

frakkit Wed 16-Jun-10 20:01:40

You can but advertise!

TBH experienced baby nannies (which presumably you want) aren't necessarily going to be happy about doing general housework.

Those who probably would be happy with this type of shared charge/housekeeper job are likely to be ex-Mother's Helps or newly qualified nannies who don't have the experience.

I think it's going to be crucial to be very upfront about it, say that you are a hands-on mother, the role is shared charge when you're around but you need them to be capable of prox-parenting and there's housework involved.

When you say housework, what kind of housework do you want?

The other thing to consider is cost. How much were you thinking of paying?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 16-Jun-10 21:05:45

tbh i think you will find it very hard to find a good expereinced nanny who will do housework

nannies want to look after and care for children

you will have 2 very young children and the nanny wont be able to do housework while looking after them when you are training/away

can you housekeeper not do more - what did you want done that is extra?

or get a nanny who is happy for shared care (again rare with an experienced nanny) and a cleaner

Karoleann Wed 16-Jun-10 22:54:37

I think you'll be fine, advertise on gumtree explaining exactly what you want and I'm sure you'll get lots of suitables

Thing1Thing2 Thu 17-Jun-10 13:29:05

I also think you will be fine. Also try nannyjob.

The way the nanny market is going, more and more nannys are having to accept that the perfect 5 day a week sole charge role is very rare indeed.

jenroy29 Thu 17-Jun-10 18:53:12

Hi I know that I'm being really nosey but can I please ask you what sport you compete in? Since I first read your post I've been trying to think of a sport that you can carry on with after having children and that pays women enough to employ a housekeeper. I don't want to know who you are, just what type of sport you do (I respect the anonimity that mumsnet provides)

nannynick Thu 17-Jun-10 19:12:56

jenroy29 - my bet is on something to do with horses.

HarrietTheSpy Thu 17-Jun-10 19:16:17

Hmmm...Nick mine is on running....

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Jun-10 21:14:10

I also thought horses and running but also swimming

nbee84 Thu 17-Jun-10 21:21:01

Could be that her dh earns enough to cover this type of help when she is working/competing.

LouIsWaltzingMatilda Fri 18-Jun-10 10:39:00

Maybe some kind of horse running duathlon thing?

fridayschild Fri 18-Jun-10 18:05:28

I would echo what others have said about a nanny who will do housework. I think people tend to either like child care or cleaning but not both. ("Like" cleaning might be pushing it a bit, I know). Small children tend to be inconsistent with clean and tidy homes, IME.

The difficulty if you split the job is that people need enough money to live on, and with two jobs there might not be enough for either of them.

Could you look for a mothers' help who is happy with a reasonable amount of sole charge? This wouldn't give you qualifications though. Or a nanny with her own child looking for a school hours job?

BearBear1981 Mon 28-Jun-10 14:19:54

Ha ha, yes it's horses.

nbee84... luckily horses can be a business as well as a sport.

Thing1thing2, I agree that some nannies are having to be more flexible now.

I am home more frequently in the day since DD arrived and when number 2 comes will be home the same amount of time, hence nanny will not have sole charge all the time.

Have contacted a few agencies with my spec with varying results. Think a specific advert is the best route.

Thanks for all the input.

BabyBMum Sun 14-Aug-11 18:21:42

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Filipino Nanny/Housekeeper to live in 6 days a week to work in central London. Does anyone know of any good agencies I could go through to find one?? : )

Gastonladybird Mon 15-Aug-11 20:48:29

Search under Filipino as was a thread on this a few months ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now