Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Has anyone ever had a male au-pair?

(14 Posts)
RnB Thu 11-Aug-05 11:47:37

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Thu 11-Aug-05 11:57:40

I haven't had one but the au pair agency I first use recommended them because they don't get bitchy/gossipy about you when they are with other au pairs.

Don't know how much there is in that.

MascaraOHara Thu 11-Aug-05 12:00:07

I don't like the idea myself (awful to admit I know) but an ex of mines landlady used to have a male au-pair and he seemed fab! house was spotless etc

albert Thu 11-Aug-05 12:00:38

No, but my 20 year old male cousin is just about to come and work for me. DH is going to be away until we join him in about 10 weeks and I need some help. Male would not have been my first choice but actually now think it's rather a good idea for DS to have another male around. I've 'interviewed' him and am happy with my choice. Sounds to me like your French boy will be fine. Can you give him a trial run to be evaluated after 2 months?

NannyL Thu 11-Aug-05 12:52:18

I went for a nannt job about a year ago where they had a male au pair ASWELL, (they had 4 children and it meant that mu could leave early for work,, be back late and nannys day would not be so long.... + he did the house work (which while looking after 4 children no nanny would do, cause thre would be no time anyway)

I VERY nearly took the job but in the end didnt, and met the family and the au pair several times.

All i can say is that there male au pair seemed LOVELY, they were very pleased with him... he worked hard, didnt mind getting his 'hands dirty' so to speek, and stayed for an extra year after his first. They were very sorry to see him go when his time was 'up'

goldenoldie Thu 11-Aug-05 12:56:19

No, but have a friend that did and he was fab.

She has two boys, both sporty types and AP was always taking them over the park for footie or games. He was also very handy at putting up the odd shelf and sorting out fuses/plugs/electrics.

His housework was OK too.

RnB Thu 11-Aug-05 13:34:38

Message withdrawn

lucy5 Thu 11-Aug-05 13:40:37

I dont have an aupair but I used to run English courses for them and my most studious was a Turkish lad of about 22. He was calm and softly spoken, an absolute sweetheart.

Caligula Thu 11-Aug-05 13:45:46

I've had 2. The first one was excellent. Very arrogant but did all the housework properly. The advantage of him was that because he had had his arse wiped by his mother all his life, he had absolutely no idea how to approach housework and so he forced me to set up a logical way of doing it, which I previously hadn't had (hence being re-born as a wannabe Bree clone). Which meant that it was always done perfectly, my way, as opposed to the way my girl au-pair did it, her way.

The second was smelly and had a beard. He didn't last long.

Caligula Thu 11-Aug-05 13:46:21

Oh and the first one was absolutely brilliant at playing with the kids.

celtic66 Thu 11-Aug-05 20:06:17

A neighour of mine as a fantastic Male AP and great with her DS, cooking and cleaning, Ironing to good standard.
I often see them walking to school, making sure little DS coats zipped up ect .. how sweet,

leesax Sat 13-Aug-05 20:25:34

Hi,

I have not had a male aupair, but when interviewing for my current AP, I had a really hard choice between a male and female AP, In the end I chose the female as she had more experience with younger children.

But if I was looking again I would not hesitate to have a male aupair if he had the experience etc req.

Easy Sat 13-Aug-05 20:29:15

I've always fancied the Idea of a Phillipino House Boy !!

(Sorry, sily aside, it's been a stressful day).

RnB Tue 16-Aug-05 08:30:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now