Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

au pair, nanny would love one......

(12 Posts)
DukesofHazzardMum Wed 10-Aug-05 01:59:54

Hi there...my dh works fulltime and I have 1 ds of one year and 3 dd, 7, 3 and 10 weeks and we are hoping to try for another early next year...at present I am a fulltime housewife but would love some help fulltime and am considering these options......but am unsure how to go about it, how much they would expect....I know this sounds so silly but would they consider sharing a room with kids or would they require a room of their own if they were live in???? Hope my post does not sound too eratic

ssd Wed 10-Aug-05 08:21:24

They'd definately need a room of their own, for their own space and privacy.

Have a look at the adverts on gumtree to see if they match what you want.

chonky Wed 10-Aug-05 08:26:16

I agree with ssd, they'd definitely need their own room (or you'd need to pay thema fortune to make sharing worth their while ).

Ameriscot2005 Wed 10-Aug-05 08:35:09

Yes, they need a room of their own.

I am a SAHM with a term-time au pair. I think it works out really well and it's great that I don't have to do the school runs, that the kitchen gets cleaned everyday etc. It's also nice to have a built-in babysitter for evenings out.

I get my au pairs from Au Pair World

I pay £70 a week for an au pair (25 hours) and £90 a week for an au pair plus (35 hours).

uwila Wed 10-Aug-05 08:49:29

Hello, you have much to think about. Firstly, I would say yes you probably need to provide any live-in help with her own room, but it's fine for her to share the bathroom with the kids.

You might want to start with a book called "The Good Nanny Guide". It gives a good overview of your options (mothers help, au pair, live in nanny, live out nanny, etc.). IF you are considering a nanny, then I would suggest you have a read of www.nannytax.co.uk.

when you decide what kind of help you want, come back to mumsnet for interview / job offer / contract tips. lots of us have been where you are now and more than happy to share our experiences.

mishmash Wed 10-Aug-05 08:49:42

Own room def - when we were looking for a nanny we went through an agency. Our ideal nanny didn't come to us because the agency led her to believe that she would share a room with the kids. The nanny we got, got such a shock when she arrived and saw her own double room.

I blamed the communication between the agencies.

goldenoldie Wed 10-Aug-05 09:00:07

Def own room, but can share bathroom.

I never pay more than £50 - £55 a week (London).

I've had lots of APs but never been a SAHM. I imagine it is the ideal solution - you get lots of help with work done and she/he can take kids out to play when you/they need it.

Also, being at home, you can monitor what is going on and if it is working out.

goldenoldie Wed 10-Aug-05 09:00:15

Def own room, but can share bathroom.

I never pay more than £50 - £55 a week (London).

I've had lots of APs but never been a SAHM. I imagine it is the ideal solution - you get lots of help with work done and she/he can take kids out to play when you/they need it.

Also, being at home, you can monitor what is going on and if it is working out.

uwila Wed 10-Aug-05 10:56:26

Also au pairs will do more grunt work than nannies, in general. Nannies tend to regard themselves as professional childcarers and don't appreciate being taken for the family maid (rightly so). So if you want that extra pair of hands to do the less exciting things like cleaning the kitchen and doing the laundry then you are probably better off with an au pair. On the other hand if you don't have a room to give her, then I would say youmight need to look at hiring a cleaner and possibly a live-out nanny share.

The verious option come with a big difference in price. Au pair is the ceapest and live out nanny is quite expensive.

DukesofHazzardMum Wed 10-Aug-05 21:37:25

Thanks all so much for your advice have taken it on board

lunavix Wed 10-Aug-05 21:39:55

sorry I read your topic and thought you meant your nanny would love an au pair! I was going to say, course she would cheeky cow!

DukesofHazzardMum Wed 10-Aug-05 21:46:14

LOL lunavix have just read it back and does sound like that doesn't it!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: