Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder who has her own baby...goood idea or not?

(21 Posts)
Tipex Mon 08-Aug-05 17:04:15

Hi all, just looking for a few opinions from those in the know. I am interviewing childminders currently for DS who is 6m, 9will be 7m when he starts being minded). I am seeing a lady who is just starting minding, DS will be her first mindee and she has her own baby of 4m. this is the reason she is starting minding. Just wanted to gauge thoughts on whether this will be a good idea for DS or not? I suppose I am anxious that
1. she will be too shattered to cope with 2 babies as I know I was when he was 4m!!
2. she will automatically look after her baby in preference to DS (surely a natural reaction?)
3. she wont have a double buggy ? so how will she take them out...I know I should just ask her this one!!

so, those in the know...what are your thoughts?

goldenoldie Mon 08-Aug-05 17:08:37

1. = Maybe
2. = Yes, would'nt you?
3. = She won't - unless YOU provide the double buggy.

eleanorsmum Mon 08-Aug-05 17:10:16

I don't think she can have your little one as i think you can only have one child under 18 months and hers will be that one. the child ratios are quite strict. have a look at the national childminding association website. they'll have the regulations for you.

goldenoldie Mon 08-Aug-05 17:13:53

eleanor - I've got twins on the way - does that mean I can't use a childminder?

Ameriscot2005 Mon 08-Aug-05 17:15:10

When you use a childminder, you don't, or are not guaranteed to, get undivided attention.

I wouldn't automatically say that the CM would give more attention to her own child - it easily could go the other way. It's more likely that she is able to give them both attention at the same time.

goldenoldie Mon 08-Aug-05 17:16:03

Only if she has four arms.................

eleanorsmum Mon 08-Aug-05 17:16:19

golden oldie. no they make exceptions for siblings. you will have ti find a childminder who is registered for the right number of children for you. Don't panick!

feelingold Mon 08-Aug-05 17:39:05

The vast majority of childminders if working alone are only registered to have 1 child under the age of one and if they have a child under one themselves they can not usually have anymore.
The exception usually being if they take on twins. You must look at her registration certificate to check the numbers and ages of children she is allowed to mind.

Littlefish Mon 08-Aug-05 17:39:09

Can't help with anything many of your points, but my childminder will be looking after my dd (10 months when she starts) and another little girl (6 months). She has to get registered for this and is going through the process at the moment. Childminder has said that she will be buying a double buggy to transport the children.

Littlefish Mon 08-Aug-05 17:39:57

Oops, just realised I've got this wrong. The second little girl will not be going until my daughter is 1yr old.

Twiglett Mon 08-Aug-05 18:08:50

she can't take your child too .. childminders are only allowed one under a year and that includes their own children

HappyMumof2 Mon 08-Aug-05 18:10:27

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Mon 08-Aug-05 18:13:33

Message withdrawn

sunnydelight Mon 08-Aug-05 18:21:10

As everyone has already said, she can't have two children under one as her own child counts in her registered numbers. Personally, and obviously this is just my opinion, I would never use a childminder with a young baby of her own. Of course she will give preference to her own baby if she is on her own and both of them are crying/need something at the same time. The best childminders I have used had school age children of their own so lots of experience with children, but no obvious favourite. I went to visit a local childminder when looking for childcare for my 18 month old last year - there was a mother and two daughters working together in a dedicated space which sounded great, but when I got there one of the daughters was cuddling her own baby and the toddler she was responsible for was crying on the floor. I overheard her sister refuse to comfort the the child as she wasn't "her" child - no way!

bambi06 Mon 08-Aug-05 18:29:32

maybe 4 mth old is a bit young for her to start work looking after other babies, personally i wouldnt feel like it although i did care for another child of 10 mths along with my own of the same age, but let her have a try if you feel confident in her , thats the importanrt issue here, do you feel o.k about going back to work leaving your child for the first time with her, everyone has their own values as to what to expect and i certainly wouldnt lower my standards if i felt it wasnt right , maybe i am more choosy and look into things too much as i`m a N.N..E.B AND CHILDMINDER WITH 20 YRS EXP SO know what to expect, but maybe you could give her a trial or even spend one day with her to see how she manages, its a perfectly acceptable condition to ask for and i wouldnt mind , in fact i could probably get to know the parents a little better this way. also do a few hours here and there and arrive earlier to see how she`s coping.good luck and go with your gut instinct

Tipex Mon 08-Aug-05 19:36:59

ooh, I had wondered about how come she is allowed 2 under 12m but I was given her details by the local childminding co ordinator. That will rule it straight out for me. from what you have all commented its a tought job also and this is her first job so all in all it no, I dont feel comfortable. thanks guys

starshaker Mon 08-Aug-05 20:00:27

well i have a 4 month old dd and i am a mothers help to 2 wee girls a 18 month and a 3 year old and they all get on great

starshaker Mon 08-Aug-05 20:01:08

you can apply for more than 1 under 1 if u have 1 of ur own or if its twins

motherinferior Mon 08-Aug-05 20:02:42

My childminder got an exception when her daughter was a baby. However, I'd be reluctant to use a childminder with no experience, whether or not she had her own baby. I'm quite sure mine was fabulous, but then she'd already been working in childcare for years.

HappyMumof2 Mon 08-Aug-05 20:35:12

Message withdrawn

nannyjo Mon 08-Aug-05 20:38:39

i wouldn't take on a baby of that age when my DS was still very young because it would be very hard with two crwalers/walkers that need holding suporting and watching all the time.

I'm waiting to start work when my DS is more independant so i can cocentrate on my work (mindees) as much as poss after all that is what i would be being paid for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now